Factory Overpaint - Y-16-1 1904 Spyker

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
Tradefreak

Factory Overpaint - Y-16-1 1904 Spyker

Post by Tradefreak »

1.jpg
I have a Matchbox Y-16-1 1904 Spyker that I'm pretty sure has been factory-overpainted. Green can be clearly seen underneath the factory yellow and, in my meagre research, I found out that the 1960 or 1961 Matchbox catalog shows a two-tone green one which, so I understand, was never released. For those naysayers who might think someone did this on purpose after the fact, I can tell you I'm the original owner and only noticed it a couple days ago. So, I'm looking for more info from those more knowledgeable than me. I tried uploading several pics showing all sides and the bottom, but this is the only one that loaded. Might need some advice on how to do that.
Last edited by Tradefreak on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Factory Overpaint - Y-16-1 1904 Spyker

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think you forgot to click on ...add file and then...place in line, before clicking submit.

You should be able to upload several pictures but you must remember to keep clicking on the Upload attachment for each picture you want to add.

A picture of the baseplate is essential in determining a models status so when you can, please try and upload those other pictures.

Overpainted models within the yesteryear range are known and come about when old stock painted castings are put back onto the flow line to be built up as finished models in the next season's new colour scheme.
Moyboy

Post by Moyboy »

The base is the most relevant to this showing the legend on the base clearly 'Models of Yesteryear 1904'
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

This model has the 2nd type of windscreen and steering wheel, and later wheels. It's very unlikely to be a preproduction casting. Baseplate detail as Mick says will prove the point. Green and maroon models were prepros, and have specific fonts in the baseplate lettering that determine this status.
Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Mismatched wheels front and rear.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

It's not uncommon to find a different wheel on each corner on these!
Bob
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Base picture now added in the first post.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Standard model as expected.
Bob
francipe

Post by francipe »

Tradefreak wrote:I tried uploading several pics showing all sides and the bottom, but this is the only one that loaded. Might need some advice on how to do that.
Hi Tradefreak,
Welcome to the Forum.
If you want help with posting photos you'll find it in The Lounge thread, in a section at the top called Announcements.
For convenience here's the link
https://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.u ... f=5&t=8878
The description about loading photos doesn't include all the steps I use. Having used the 'Add the file' tab I position the cursor in the place I want the photo to appear in the text and then click the 'Place inline' tab.
I also use the Preview button to ensure everything is how I want it before pressing the Submit button to post the message.
Finally, there's also a box in which you can add a title to the photo if desired.
Good luck.
Peter
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

TradeFreak, what makes you think that the baseplate might be overpainted? Are there any areas with green showing through? (the problem is that the baseplate on your model is a later version than those which are known to have left the factory in green.)