Opinions from the masters please.

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
YYS4BOB

Opinions from the masters please.

Post by YYS4BOB »

This model recently sold on E-Bay for $100+
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600..jpg
s-l1600...jpg
Described thus.
Vintage Lesney Matchbox models of yesteryear Y-5 1907 Peugeot Limo? Modified? Factory Mishap? Unlisted variation? W/Box. This is a really awesome and different lesney models of testeryesr 1907 Peugeot. The car has 3 seats instead if two. It measures approx 4.5 inches long. If someone did modify this they did an amazing job.
To me, it looks like a modern day "cut & shut". The castings are normal production, not prepro or early, and prototypes of this era, if made from two cut bases, are usually joined by two riveted fillets. How have these been joined? JB Weld? Surely a proper company R&D model maker would do a better job than just hacksawing through the seats? The roof attachment lugs on screen and body have been removed.
Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Opinions from the masters please.

Post by Idris »

I noticed the listing, but hadn't been following it since I decided that it was most likely a privately-produced model (in which case US$100+ is a good price).
Viewfield

Post by Viewfield »

This looks like something I would make on a wet weekend. I’m pretty sure this is a cut and shut model. Just looking at the base you see the two bases stuck together. Looking at the Price achieved someone’s making good money!
With a good Dremel everything’s possible.

Rod
Squid

Post by Squid »

Looks like a cut-and-shut to me, too. If I had to guess, it was joined with J-B Weld and filed.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:I noticed the listing, but hadn't been following it since I decided that it was most likely a privately-produced model (in which case US$100+ is a good price).
Sorry, should have said why i thought it was a private initiative. This was primarily because the elongated form would not have fitted in a then current box. However, I also thought that the level of finish on the underside (which is normally out of sight) was simply too good for a prototype.