Prototype Chassis

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Prototype Chassis

Post by Idris »

Every so often, one of these so-called prototype SF chassis/suspension units crops up on Ebay. (I think Graham had a number of them which he actioned off piecemeal.)
Does any Member have any firm information regarding their origins?
Attachments
SF chassis.jpg
DrJeep

Re: Prototype Chassis

Post by DrJeep »

I saw that one and thought about bidding but didn’t get round to it. It had the number 23 on it, which I presume means it’s from a VW Dormobile. I’d like to know more too.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The only visiual evidence to it being prototype status is the fact it has un-foiled smooth faced wheels with the axle-ends NOT recessed into the wheel to prevent snagging your fingers.

I would guess the wheels do not have any proper machine made tooling numbers or letters but might have them inscribed by hand.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:It had the number 23 on it, which I presume means it’s from a VW Dormobile.
That rings a bell. I think at least some of the others had that too.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The only visiual evidence to it being prototype status is the fact it has un-foiled smooth faced wheels with the axle-ends NOT recessed into the wheel to prevent snagging your fingers.
I think the axles are of a greater diameter too, closer to a regular wheel size. Or is that an optical illusion?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The only visiual evidence to it being prototype status is the fact it has un-foiled smooth faced wheels with the axle-ends NOT recessed into the wheel to prevent snagging your fingers.
I think the axles are of a greater diameter too, closer to a regular wheel size. Or is that an optical illusion?
I see what you mean. They certainly look thicker.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Notes supplied with this patent suggest the axles are...''about 25/1000 (0.635 millimetre) diameter''. This would be for full production models, not for the prototype!
US3619943-0.png
fixer

Post by fixer »

I found a few of these at a flee market not far from Rochford along with some complete but unassembled model A's an unassembled Honda bike and several YY bodies and parts
The wheels are not like any other sf the closest being the seafire wheels
The unit is identical to the ones used in the #23 vw camper
The one Graham sold was one of the ones I found Tim and I also sold some on a couple of Facebook sites we frequent
It's possible Tim still has one and I'm sure I kept one back for myself
The price realised by Graham was unrealistic and the buyer did regret it from what Graham told me
If I can find it I will post some close up pictures later
reg
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I did a bit of Googling this afternoon and found the photographs below on this page. This appears to be a model maker's resin prototype and uses the same chassis design. Was this style of unit perhaps originally proposed as a standardised component for fitting to various models across the range?
Attachments
SFc-11.jpg
SFc-11.jpg (24.63 KiB) Viewed 7869 times
SFc-10.jpg
SFc-10.jpg (28.17 KiB) Viewed 7869 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

fixer wrote:If I can find it I will post some close up pictures later
If you could also give us an idea of the axle diameter, that would be great.