More on the 16C Scammell Snow Plow

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
matchbox_n_molars

More on the 16C Scammell Snow Plow

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

It was my good fortune to receive a heads up from a Matchbox collecting friend on the availability of a 16C Scammell Snow Plow. Like George's recent addition, this one features open steps on the left side and closed steps on the right. It is the model seen in at the bottom of the attached photo.
The model atop the box is one I've had for years. It too has open steps on the left and mostly closed steps on the right. But each of the two step slots has a small open irregular hole within the casting. It makes me wonder if the original open step molds with extended use, began to leak on the right side. The top model probably passed down the assembly line in advance of George's model or this new one I got on the bottom in the photo. It could have been this leaky development and the consequential asymmetry (that we collectors have come to value) that made for the intentional Lesney decision to modify the molds providing for both sides to have closed steps. What do you think?
16c snow plow.jpg
Greg in Cincinnati
Tinman

Re: More on the 16C Scammell Snow Plow

Post by Tinman »

I think it's a couple of very nice and sought after variations!
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think the more examples we can look at it will cement the idea that it is indeed leakage within the molds.
kay

Post by kay »

Greg,
you were faster than me - I had exactly the same thoughts!
My version of the model has just one small dent in the lower right step - for me it is a sign of wear to the tools.

Here are some prictures :
16-C Code 4 I.jpg
16-C Code 4 II.jpg
16-C Code 4 III.jpg
16-C Code 4 IV.jpg
Kay
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Could it be that the closed steps began with wear in the tooling resulting in flashing over of the steps followed by a deliberate change to the tooling to create closed steps?
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Idris wrote:Could it be that the closed steps began with wear in the tooling resulting in flashing over of the steps followed by a deliberate change to the tooling to create closed steps?
I am rather fond of this model and well prepared should we ever get snow in this part of the world. :lol: :lol: It was 42.2 degree C here recently so snow is unlikely any time soon.

Great photos Greg and Kay.

When we discussed this model once before ( I can not find the thread with my photos ) I had the belief that as the mould wore it would have become increasingly difficult to remove the flashing inside the steps as the flashing got thicker. I have several examples where flashing has not been removed in the tumbling or cleaning process. Pic attached.

The thickness of the step varies from about 0.7mm to 0.9mm and the inside of the step is consistently 0.5mm so I think the mould was modified to give a uniform thickness inside the step ladder.
Why they did not do the same to the other side at the same time could be explained by a case of just testing the die modification for just one day would result in many hundreds of casting with left step open right step closed. They would then modify the second side.
Greg and Kay's models could indicate earliest test shots.
While it is not a rare variation I have only recorded less than 15 as they have been shown by collectors or sellers.
The model is made up of 4 diecast sections and the design of the cab suggests that the mould had a four part moving (sliding) core format to cast the cab. So it is feasible and practical to modify 1 part (eg right side) of the mould at a time.

Evidence also suggests from other modifications to the tooling was that they could and did modify both sides of the chassis at the same time as indicated by the tipper pin support brace which was not on early examples.

Here are a couple of images where mould wear is evident and flashing not removed before painting.
The three other images show the side steps where the infill is the same thickness but the steps themselves vary in thickness. Note paint thickness on one.

The first image is my fleet with the one without the plough being a childhood survivor and a much loved toy. This gathering of Scammell's has helped me understand the progressive changes the toolmakers made to this neat little toy.

Bert
Attachments
1 bert 16c fleet.JPG
2 bert 16c flashing just starting to form.JPG
3 16c flashing forming right side step.JPG
4 bert 16c paint work.JPG
5 bert 16c crisp step.JPG
6 bert 16c thinner step.JPG
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

i have three open/closed step models

2 have nice and crisp open steps and the closed steps are solid

but one is a bit off

if you look at the top closed step there is a slight indent where the metal wasnt smooth

the open step has a thicker step where paint was applied thick in some way

the closed side with the model on its wheels..you can see the top of the ladder isnt smooth

the open step side...you can see the thick paint on the steps side...also the tank had lots of paint and it bubbled

does anyone think the sprayed a thicker layer of paint to hide the casting flaw?
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Brad Pittiful wrote:i have three open/closed step models
2 have nice and crisp open steps and the closed steps are solid
but one is a bit off
if you look at the top closed step there is a slight indent where the metal wasnt smooth
the open step has a thicker step where paint was applied thick in some way
the closed side with the model on its wheels..you can see the top of the ladder isnt smooth
the open step side...you can see the thick paint on the steps side...also the tank had lots of paint and it bubbled

does anyone think the sprayed a thicker layer of paint to hide the casting flaw?
Hi Dan,

Hope you are going well and keeping out of harms way in your area.

Nice photos.
Brad Pittiful wrote: if you look at the top closed step there is a slight indent where the metal wasnt smooth
Which tends to make me think at that point of production the tool makers may not have made the deliberate correction to the die. This could be almost at the same time as Greg’s and Kay’s. On my left open and right closed the infill is smooth and is at the point where the toolmakers did make a deliberate correction to the die.
Do you think the infil on that one is as thick as the other two? ( see the angle of my photos gives an idea )

re paint issue
I think there may have been a problem with the grey paint rather than coating thicker to cover flaws. I have several 3b Bedford that have the same bubbly grey paint to the cab and chassis. I have seen it many times on that model.
The only other model that comes to mind is the blue on the 40 hay trailer which also experienced bubbly paint issues.

Thanks also for indicating you have three of the 16c open/closed variation, I have altered my tally. With the exception of two ( unknown origin ) all of the others have come from the USA which is quite interesting, as though as they came of assembly and boxed they were destined for Fred Bronner distribution.

Bert
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

Here we have some of mine:

Open steps / no base hole
Some flashing on upper step
DSC00060.JPG
Open steps / with base hole
DSC00057.JPG
From outside
DSC00058.JPG
open / closed step. This one came from Switzerland
DSC00059.JPG
THOMAS
in Black Forest
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

paelzermaen wrote: Open steps / with base hole
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for adding those images, wonderful quality photos and models.
The open steps both sides with the base hole (unlisted) may actually be less in number than the single closed step variation.
It is also a good example of the grey paint issue on the underside but perfect on the outside.
Thanks also for origin of your left open/right closed model.

Bert