New member - JAN 2021. Hello

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
Mysteron man

New member - JAN 2021. Hello

Post by Mysteron man »

Hi everybody and thank you to the admin for letting me join your forum. A happy New Year to you all.

I would like to introduce myself as an absolute beginner, I have no collecting knowledge or experience, nor any model making experience. I am recently retired so find myself with time on my hands but have a meagre budget. My imagination has been captured by the vehicles that bring back my childhood memories. Gerry Anderson features a lot there and particularly Captain Scarlet. Never had any of these toys as a child, from a very humble family. I have been browsing the net, particularly eBay trying to assess value and costs of purchase etc. I cannot afford to buy the mint examples so decided to buy play worn and restore them for display. I have sort of dipped my toe in the Dinky/Corgi pond and bought a few examples. I thought I would need a few practice vehicles and ended up with a fleet of Maximum Security Vehicles! I also had a go at The Saint Volvo. I have tried to faithfully restore the Captain Scarlets but tinkered with the Saint car, its come out OK-Ish but doesn't stand close scrutiny. I don't have a mancave, I have a man patch! which is slowly amassing most of the things listed in the section about what you need to complete restorations.

Hopefully images will attach.

I hope to add to the fleet, my next project being a Shado 2 followed by a Batmobile.

I have sourced my repro decals and a few parts from eBay, they do seem good quality so am happy to stick with them but would welcome any other tips for obtaining such parts etc.

Ive enjoyed mooching around this forum and seeing the great stuff people have, naturally I am particularly drawn to the thread regarding Gerry Anderson stuff. Ive also found my way to the Dinky tvspace site which is excellent.

I welcome any tips or advice.

So here we go. Spectrum Is Green

Rob
Attachments
DSCF2011.JPG
DSCF2011.JPG (13.36 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2009.JPG
DSCF2009.JPG (14.04 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2008.JPG
DSCF2008.JPG (11.53 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2007.JPG
DSCF2007.JPG (16.85 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2005.JPG
DSCF2005.JPG (16.4 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2006.JPG
DSCF2006.JPG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2004.JPG
DSCF2004.JPG (11.48 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2002.JPG
DSCF2002.JPG (9.65 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF2001.JPG
DSCF2001.JPG (15.34 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
DSCF1998.JPG
DSCF1998.JPG (13.75 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: New member - JAN 2021. Hello

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

As restored for display models go, you have achieved a perfectly respectable result and to me in your pictures look fine.

You have however posted pictures with a small file size which means when displayed on the forum they are only just a little bit bigger than Thumbnail pictures. Either they are small to start with on your computer (I doubt that!) or youy need to choose one of the other posting options which will make the pictures bigger and allow clicking on them to make them full size.

Have another go at posting a picture but don't worry about messing up the post as we can edit and tidy it up later for you but the main thing is to make your pictures much bigger than they are at the moment.

Ghosthunter.
Mysteron man

Post by Mysteron man »

Hi Ghosthunter

Thanks for the well one and the info re the pics.

Attached is one I have resized. Hope this one works. If it does I will reattach all the others.

Rob
Attachments
DSCF2005.JPG
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Perfect Rob and when you do a left click, it opens up to full size. Do all your pictures like that please.

Ghosthunter.
Mysteron man

Post by Mysteron man »

Great stuff thank you.

Here are the rest

Rob
Attachments
DSCF2004.JPG
DSCF2003.JPG
DSCF2002.JPG
DSCF2001.JPG
DSCF1954.JPG
DSCF2011.JPG
DSCF2010.JPG
DSCF2009.JPG
DSCF2008.JPG
DSCF2007.JPG
DSCF2006.JPG
Squid

Post by Squid »

Welcome to the board, Rob! Some nice-looking models you have there. I've always been a fan of the Volvo P1800. And I need to figure out the thing with a small thumbnail leading to a high-resolution picture.
Mysteron man

Post by Mysteron man »

Squid wrote:Welcome to the board, Rob! Some nice-looking models you have there. I've always been a fan of the Volvo P1800. And I need to figure out the thing with a small thumbnail leading to a high-resolution picture.

Hi Squid

Thank you, I shall be getting another Volvo to restore as it should be.

The mistake I made with the photos was resizing them, I reduced to what I thought would fit according to the info supplied on the photos thread but I didn't realise I had taken them so far. I tried again without reducing and they fitted a treat. If you do need to resize, RAPIDO resize is a free download and very easy to use.

Rob
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Squid wrote:...I need to figure out the thing with a small thumbnail leading to a high-resolution picture.
Just upload the fullsize picture to the Board using the "Upload attachment" tab, and the software does the rest!
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Squid wrote:Welcome to the board, Rob! Some nice-looking models you have there.
Seconded!
I would be extremely pleased with myself if I could achieve something even half as good as these two models.
Squid

Post by Squid »

I wish I'd known that before. No more resizing pictures online for me!