Orange/Yellow #69 Hatra Tractor Shovel

Is it genuine or is it fake?
Dave R

Orange/Yellow #69 Hatra Tractor Shovel

Post by Dave R »

I recently got this orange/yellow Hatra. What do all you experts think, is it the real thing? I think the details are correct, and the wear and dirt are consistent with the other mid-'60s construction models in the lot. In hand, the rivet looks good (maybe not as much so in the photos), looks to to me to have been machine-flared (many years ago judging by grey color of the bare metal). Opinions please. Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_6832.JPG
IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_6836.JPG
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Orange/Yellow #69 Hatra Tractor Shovel

Post by Idris »

I'm not 100% convinced by the turntable rivet which looks a bit too flat and has a raised lip on one side.
I' need to carry out a comparison with my own example.

Update: Having looked at mine, I think I can live with the flatness of the rivet, but I do find the raised lip concerning. on the other hand, the absence of damage to the paint around the rivet suggests that no tampering has taken place and that the lifting of the rivet is due to either rough play or indifferent manufacture.
On balance, I'd be happy to accept this as genuine.

I see that this thread has had 70 views. Does no one else have an opinion?
Squid

Post by Squid »

I don't have a 69B for comparison, but I'd concur that the model in question is genuine.
MOKOSEX

Post by MOKOSEX »

Heres some comparison photos that i had stored,from looking at mine there should be a dimple in the rivet and edge damage is on both of mine,one thing i always consider is where i am buying from,both of mine came from mixed dicast groups for very little money ,the damaged one i traded with a board member many years ago in new zealand but don,t recall who it was.my other example is "somewhere" lol :D
Basically if you paid peanuts for it then no worries,it looks ok,if you bought it has a example of a rare item and paid a bit then you would need to consider the sellers history as well as the item,there are a lot of good fakers out there ,especially now,i bought mine ages ago but would be wary of buying one now
dave r
Attachments
STANDARD EXAMPLE
STANDARD EXAMPLE
SOLD NZ EXAMPLE RIVET
SOLD NZ EXAMPLE RIVET
SOLD NZ EXAMPLE
SOLD NZ EXAMPLE
CURRENT EXAMPLE RIVET
CURRENT EXAMPLE RIVET
MY CURRENT EXAMPLE
MY CURRENT EXAMPLE
Dave R

Post by Dave R »

Many thanks guys, much appreciated, especially the photos of your Hatras' rivets! I feel much more confident about my orange/yellow Hatra now. It was in an eBay lot of 11 fairly well-played-with mid-'60s models, looking like the remains of some kid's long-ago construction company — four tractors (nos. 18d Cat, 24b Weatherill, 58 Drott, 69 Hatra), four dump trucks (two 6c Euclids, 17 Hoveringham, 48 Dodge), two cranes (30 b & 30c) and a cement mixer (26b), mostly in various states of use/disrepair/crude repaint, and for a while I wondered if the two-color Hatra could have been a "dad repair" marriage of two broken models, but there's no evidence of that and all the models with "custom" paint jobs look done by a youngster (paint over top of dirt, no masking, etc.). The whole lot was all of $12, so I suppose I could claim I only paid a little over a dollar for the Hatra; but since the rest of the models are pretty much worthless, I guess I really paid $22.46 ($12 + shipping + tax) just to get the Hatra. Even in the condition it's in, I guess it's worth a bit more than that. I'll go ahead and clean it up and fix the wobbly tires and add it to my collection.

Thanks again! Dave
Squid

Post by Squid »

Dave R wrote:The rest of the models are pretty much worthless...
Not necessarily. I wouldn't be so quick to write them off unless the castings themselves are severely damaged. Kiddie-kustom paint may come off with nothing more than warm water and dish soap. Even if they're barely worth restoring, you could get a small amount of money for them. And the Hatra by itself is a good find. Congratulations!
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Congrats on the two tone Hatra Dave!
Looks like your $22 gamble has paid off nicely!
Good eye to carefully look at an unlikely eBay listing.
Happy hunting!
Kurt
jsherwood

Post by jsherwood »

The rivet rotates with the shovel, so I'd expect more wear to the edges of the rivet than other models.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

jsherwood wrote:The rivet rotates with the shovel, so I'd expect more wear to the edges of the rivet than other models.
I hadn't thought of that. It explains a lot.
paelzermaen

Post by paelzermaen »

jsherwood wrote:The rivet rotates with the shovel, so I'd expect more wear to the edges of the rivet than other models.
And ...Boom, our "friend" in the Netherlands adds a little wear to the rivet.
Jonkers.jpg
(Picture from ebay)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Matchbox-Lesney ... 1438.l2649
THOMAS
in Black Forest