Another How to Clean Question

Dinky toys by Meccano
Dinkied

Another How to Clean Question

Post by Dinkied »

Hi, now I know how to clean my breakdown lorry how, if possible, does one clean a grubby box?
Box.JPG
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Another How to Clean Question

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have added the picture of your box to your post rather than keep clicking on the link.

For many boxes and blister backing cards I use nothing more than these German erasers. These are surprisingly good.
rubbers.JPG
RSSierra

Post by RSSierra »

Agreed, erasers are surprisingly effective in cleaning decades of dust, dirt and finger oil off old cardboard.

Getting to know the pressure and speed of usage to avoid damage should be done cautiously!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Practice on an old damaged boxes first this will give you a chance to experience the different types of surfaces between the different brands (Corgi boxes are generally different to Dinky depending on the period of box).

When you do start to clean on a good displayable box, start with very little prssure almost as if you are just dusting the surface and slowly increase the pressure but keep checking the contact point of the eraser to see if any colour pigment is on the eraser, if it is do not proceed, this box can not be cleaned this way or at least the coloured areas can not, only the white areas.

If you find little bits of dark brown dirt, glue, paint spots etc, you can remove these with a tiny flat blade screw driver sharpened to a chissel like tool and simply ease and scrape these marks off.

Glue deposists from sellotape and old price labels can mostly be removed gently warming up the glue until it becomes sticky again and use a new clean sticky label applied over the old glue and manipulate with your upside down finger so it is the finger nail doing the work. Slowly peel back a section and see if the old glue is sticking to the new glue and if so continue to remove the new label. This may require several attempts, different 'New' sticky labels and practice but it is a method I have used with a lot of success. If the old glue is hard and shows no sign of wanting to be removed, use the flat blade screw driver method and carfully scrape it off.

Repairing damage such as creases, tears and seperate end-flaps is covered very well by Joe (''tinman'') so he can help out with those issues.