Corgi Toys Glossary.

Corgi & Husky toys by Mettoy
GHOSTHUNTER

Corgi Toys Glossary.

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

As an attempt to educate those not famaliar with certain terms and description contractions, we are introducing a 'Glossary' for the main collectable brands.

What we want from you the members, are all the terminology you know of relating to the Corgi Toys such as Red Spot, Spun Alloy, Whizzwheel and Take Off etc, etc which in this case all relate to a model's wheel design.

Try and post the most well known contraction which can be found in the official Corgi referenc books rather than a version you use because it is easier to say!

When we have enough data we will then make it a 'Sticky' post so it will always be near the top of the Corgi Toys section.

As an example, early Corgi Toys could display the letter 'M' after their catalogue number which indicated the model inside the box was the Mechanical version, so think of all similar letter designations that we can add to the glossary.
Squid

Re: Corgi Toys Glossary.

Post by Squid »

I've seen the suffix "S" used to indicate a model updated with seats and suspension.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Shamelessly copying from my book "The Unauthorized Encyclopedia of Corgi Toys":

British - American Glossary of Terms

British Term - American Term:

Artic - Semi, Tractor-trailer
Bonnet - Hood
Boot - Trunk Lid, Deck Lid
Box Van - Delivery Truck
Breakdown Truck - Tow Truck, Wrecker
Estate Car - Station Wagon
Hood - Convertible Top
Horsebox - Horse Trailer
Lorry - Large Truck
Milk Float - Milk Truck
Overriders - Bumper Guards
Petrol - Gasoline
Refuse Wagon - Garbage Truck
Saloon - Sedan
Tipper - Dump Truck
Tram - Trolley Car, Street Car
Transfer - Decal
Tyres - Tires
Windscreen - Windshield
Wing Windows - Vent Windows

Diecast Model Hobby Glossary of Terms

Variation: Model based upon the same casting or model number as another but with easily recognizable or significant differences.
Sub-variation: Model outwardly similar to another, but with some minor difference.
Original: As-produced by the original manufacturer.
Restored: Modified to resemble the as-produced condition by means of repair or replacement of parts and/or exterior finish.
Mint (M): Condition exactly as-produced without wear, soil, corrosion, oxidation, scrapes, chips, cracks, or scuffs.
Near-Mint (NM): Mint except for minor soil or minor oxidation as would occur through exposure to air or careful handling over time.
Excellent (E): Condition just below Mint at which models may have minor scuffing, edge wear, or fading, but without chips, cracks, scratches, or damage.
Very Good (VG): Condition below Excellent at which models may have some chips, scratches, or corrosion, but without damage or missing parts and with most of the original finish remaining.
Chipped (-CH): Additional suffix to condition used by some vendors identifying a model of a higher condition except for one obvious blemish or chip in the finish.
Boxed (-B): Suffix to condition signifying inclusion of the original box. The box is considered to be in Excellent condition unless otherwise specified.
Card: Packaging in which a model is surrounded on 5 sides by a clear vacuum formed plastic “bubble” and sealed to a flat cardboard backing card.
Crimping: A process by which two very tight fitting objects are forced together by applying pressure.
Peening: A process by which an object’s shape is changed by repeated impact.
Vacuum Forming: A process by which a heated flat sheet of plastic is drawn down over a shaped ‘form’ by applying a vacuum.
Stamping: A process by which sheet metal is bent and cut to shape by force between two ‘dies’.
Die Casting: A process by which an object is formed from molten metal which is injected under pressure into the cavity of a ‘die set’ and cooled.
Injection Molding: A process similar to Die Casting except molten plastic is injected into a ‘mold’.
Deflashing: A process by which excess material is removed from an object by tumbling in an abrasive material.
Tampo Printing: A process by which ink or paint may be transferred from a flat plate to an irregularly shaped object by means of a soft pad.
Mask Spraying: A process by which sprayed paint is prevented from coating some part of a surface, being blocked by a reusable ‘mask’.
Silk Screening: A process by which ink or paint is applied to a surface by being forced through the weave of a specially prepared silk screen which acts as a mask for the pattern to be applied.
Vacuum Plating: A process by which a reflective metallic coating is applied to a surface by being sprayed into a chamber under vacuum.
Flocking: A process by which a surface is sprayed with an adhesive, then pressure coated with loose fibers giving a ‘fuzzy’ texture.
Decal (Transfer): A decoration printed on a transparent media which is soaked from a backing paper with water and applied to a surface, being held in place by a clear water soluble adhesive.
Label (Sticker): A decoration printed onto a paper or plastic sheet which has an adhesive backing and is cut to shape. It is peeled from a waxed carrier sheet and applied to the dry surface of an object.
Flash: Excess material from a die casting or molding process formed by molten material entering the cracks between parts of the die or mold.
At the beach, counting down to retirement.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank you Bill, I was waiting for a comprehensive posting from you, a great contribution.

Some of the designations are transferable across to other brands such as Tire - Tyre.

Can you think of any contractions which need explaining.
Matchbox models have SPW, GPW and BPW which all relate to the type of wheel in use, so are there similar to be found while discussing Corgi, Husky, Junior and Rockets etc.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Let me work on it in MSWord and then copy it here. Terms that I used in my book vary a bit from what I have heard from UK collectors. For example, what I call the "Circle of Bubbles" Whizzwheels pattern others call the "Shirt Button" pattern.

Bill
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I call them '8 Dot' Whizzwheels. I do not know if there is an accepted term in the other Corgi books but will have a look.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

Let me know what you find and where. I may have the other books in my personal library.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Modellers' World, Vol. 4, no. 1 (October 1974) contains the following:
"There are two types of wheel - smooth (S) and contoured (C), both being of alunimium. There are two types of baseplate - tinplate (T) and diecast (D).
'M' after a number designates the mechanical version (Push & Go) of the toy. 'S' after the number is to show that it has suspension. 'GS' before the number shows it is a gift set. These last three are official Corgi usage.
Corgi used a number code to classify the different types of vehicle. All items that have a number beginning with a '1' are racing cars, '2' is for cars, '3' for sports cars, '4' for vans, '5' and '6' for tractors and implements, and '60' for building kits. Four digit numbers beginning with a '1' are for 'Major' Toys.
"
Squid

Post by Squid »

Idris wrote:Modellers' World, Vol. 4, no. 1 (October 1974) contains the following:
"There are two types of wheel - smooth (S) and contoured (C), both being of alunimium."
I know those as turned and spun, respectively. Corgi terminology seems to be less standardized than that for Lesney.
Bill Manzke

Post by Bill Manzke »

I know them as Smooth and Shaped. Both styles are spin aluminum, a process inherited from the pre-Corgi Mettoy products.