Help, have I done the right thing, new UK Collector

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
smudger

Help, have I done the right thing, new UK Collector

Post by smudger »

Hi all,

I am a new member from the UK, I have always had an interest in Moko 1 - 75 series but have never collected seriously. I was just checking on a local auction and noted they had some for sale from a deceased estate, I thought I'd have a go as the auction is not online. I ended up buying the majority of them, my question is, have I done the right thing? They are all in fantastic condition (Mint or Near Mint in my humble opinion) less 5 - 10 of them.

I have added some photos below but please ask me for more if that helps answer the question.

Of note, there is a 15b with grey wheels and black tow hook, I believe these to be quite rare?
One of the 6 has the E missing off the underside England, unsure if that makes it rarer?

In short, I want to check with those in the know if I have done the right thing?
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.18.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.21.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.15.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.14 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.14.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 15.28.12.jpeg
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Help, have I done the right thing, new UK Collector

Post by Idris »

First and foremost, welcome to the Forum. Please remember that we're all here to help and that we all started knowing absolutely nothing, so do not be afraid to ask question. (As the saying goes, the only foolish question is the one that wasn't asked.)
Second, wow! That's an amazing assemblage of models. The boxes look to be in superb condition, which should mean that you will be able to pass on your duplicates easily for either good money or equally good condition models. The GPW 16b is extremely rare, especially mint and boxed, so you've done well.
Before you even consider moving anything on, check the models against Nick's catalogue pages (here). Not only will that tell you whether you have other rarities (perhaps even some unlisted variations), it will also stand you in good stead when it comes to selling and swapping.
As to whether or not you've done the right thing, well, that all depends on what you've paid, but my guess is that with Covid and reduced mobility, you probably didn't have that much competition and so got them at a very reasonable price. (You could always look on Ebay at the price of recently sold models in similar condition but, as I say, your boxes look to very good indeed which adds to their value.)
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The law of averages dictate that if you buy enough models of a similar design from the same source (in this case Lesney Products Ltd), there will be some that can be worth some significant amounts of money!

Ghosthunter.
petethesweet

Post by petethesweet »

Hi & welcome to the forum, looks some lovely boxes & models. looks a lot of the same models i should imagine they must have come out of a shop & its down to price. You must put a few close ups of the hard to find Pete.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Thank you for such a warm welcome and thank you again for your feedback and guidance, it really is greatly appreciated. I have been checking around to see what GPW 16b was worth as I noticed it went for good money many moons ago, not that I am focussed on the money, it is such a buzz when you realise you may have had a stroke of luck.

I noticed emblems on the boxes so have just been looking at that, no TPs but the other are there :D

I have been enjoying them all day and spent a considerable amount of time on some excellent posts about casting and enjoying the pictures of others etc. I'm just gutted all of mine as a child were stolen from storage back in the late 70s!

I can not lie, a very high percentage of the boxes are excellent and to be honest, it feels and looks like the significant percentage of the models have rarely been out of the boxes.

If I can ask one more, where would you advise I should look (after I complete my research) to swap and/or sell the duplicates?

Thanks again
smudger

Post by smudger »

Hello again, some close ups for you guys
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.30.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.29 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.29.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.28 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.28.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.27 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.26 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.25 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.25.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-03 at 19.16.24.jpeg
matchboxmarcel

Post by matchboxmarcel »

that's a very nice collection you acquired.

marcel
matchboxmarcel
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

smudger wrote:If I can ask one more, where would you advise I should look (after I complete my research) to swap and/or sell the duplicates?
1) Start off by finding out exactly what you've got using Nick's catalogue pages.
2) Get a feel for the value using Ebay.
3) Post the details of what you have on offer in the Forum's market place. Don't forget to supply details of the box (a photograph would be best).
4) Anything that's left can go on Ebay as BiNs, but don't flood the market with multiple examples of the same model. Drip feed the market over time.

Above all else, don't hurry, take your time. Remember, these are public pages and non-active Members may approach you with below-market offers, looking to make a quick buck at your expense.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

smudger wrote:Hello again, some close ups for you guys
Your first photograph shows a printers mark. In this case it is for Pembroke Abbey who, together with Bowater Scott, printed most of Lesney's boxes
smudger

Post by smudger »

Thank you Idris, that's excellent, thank you ever so much for your readily accepted and noted advice and guidance.

I hope that the pictures show it well. I am always happy to take photos of others if anyone has any particular things they would like to see.

Cant believe I didn't spot this forum previously, you are all so welcoming and ready to share your knowledge, thank you ever so much

I will have a look on the market place and see what is there.

Thank you Marcel, that's very kind of you