Billed as Preproduction

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Tinman

Billed as Preproduction

Post by Tinman »

This doesn't make much sense to me. Unpressed base, but boom is assembled and fastened. Opinions please.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matchbox-Lesne ... 5344bd305f
Attachments
Iron Fairy.jpg
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
DrJeep

Re: Billed as Preproduction

Post by DrJeep »

I expect Mal will add something himself, but the black base / interior is definitely not standard! Looks good to me.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I don't think the boom was modified for the Superfast issue, hence a fully-assembled and rivetted component could be used.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Here's what I am wondering about the model:

The listing says the model is un-assembled, but the boom looks to be fastened on by something.  Wondering if that's some temporary fastener just to show and photograph the model? Or is the boom riveted to the body?

I can see the boom is attached to the mount by using some old axles that were cut short using side cutter wire cutters (and understand that was done for the purpose of displaying and photographing the model).

The unpressed rivets on the body is a really interesting and a good bet the model was never assembled (as well as something nearly impossible to fake).

The black base/interior is very impressive and does not look like a resin casting (such as the Greek makes).

I guess what mainly bothers me is why it has bent and play worn wheels on a model that was never assembled.  Since the base has axle clips, I strongly suspect that the wheels came from another model.  Or what is the explanation on that issue?
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Tinman wrote:Here's what I am wondering about the model:

.... but the boom looks to be fastened on by something.  Wondering if that's some temporary fastener just to show and photograph the model? Or is the boom riveted to the body?

I guess what mainly bothers me is why it has bent and play worn wheels on a model that was never assembled.  Since the base has axle clips, I strongly suspect that the wheels came from another model.  Or what is the explanation on that issue?
I have had a look at a few of my cranes and on these the fastener has the flared or pressed side facing up and is much smaller in diameter than the one shown on the un-pressed casting.(same on rw model) Given this model can be taken apart it would be nice to see what they have used here.

According to the description this is fitted with smooth super-fast wide wheels.
On the production models the 4 spoke 11.5 x 4mm wheels have a lip on the inner edge of the circumference. The ones on the unassembled have no lip.
Here is a composite showing the unassembled model below a production model showing the wheel difference.

A quick look at all of my first edition super-fast and I do not have any 4 spoke wide wheels with smooth surface.

Bert
Attachments
42a wheels with and without lip on edge.jpg
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

An interesting conversation piece if nothing else.