8-Wheeled 15a!

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Idris
Site Admin

8-Wheeled 15a!

Post by Idris »

Yes, you read that correctly - 8-wheeled.
This is a real oddity: the front and middle wheelsets are small GPW, whilst the rear one is MW. All three axles look like Lesney stock, but the GPW axle crimps do not appear to be factory. I would say that it's simply something that somebody has knocked up but, to supply six GPW, two other models would have had to be sacrificed as donors. Furthermore, why stop there? Why not butcher another model and make an all GPW version?
All I can think of is that this was a factory reject (note how badly bent the casting is in the middle), but was only laid aside after the read wheelset had been added. It was subsequently found by an enterprising worker who acquired the then current wheels and axles to complete it, perhaps not realising that the model had evolved from 6 x MW to 10 x GPW in the meantime.
Anyone else got any ideas?
Attachments
15a-10.jpg
15a-11.jpg
15a-12.jpg
Tinman

Re: 8-Wheeled 15a!

Post by Tinman »

Strange things happen after the sun sets in some places :shock:
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:All I can think of is that this was a factory reject (note how badly bent the casting is in the middle), but was only laid aside after the read wheelset had been added. It was subsequently found by an enterprising worker who acquired the then current wheels and axles to complete it, perhaps not realising that the model had evolved from 6 x MW to 10 x GPW in the meantime.
Thinking about it, the flaw in the above is the double wheels on the middle axle. Why bother? Why not fit single ones?
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Very mysterious! Do you think it was a poor casting or has it been stepped on? Is the silver paint on the sides a home-made “improvement”?

My father made all sorts of repairs on models that weren’t worth the trouble but I was emotionally attached to them. That might explain this one too. Unless it’s some sort of factory stress-test, but why the different wheels?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

DrJeep wrote:Very mysterious! Do you think it was a poor casting or has it been stepped on? Is the silver paint on the sides a home-made “improvement”?
It's definitely been bent post-painting. (There is a vertical crack in the UK nearside chassis, immediately behind the cab.) However, with a compact model like this, that would have required quite some force.
I also thought that was silver paint, even when I initially examined the model with a magnifying glass. however, closer examination shows that someone has scratched the paint of the upper surfaces of the bonnet, cab, and front wings, plus the top, sides and back of the ballast box.
I could understand it if it were 4 x GPW + 2 x MW, or even if the MW was the non-factory wheelset, but 6 x GPW with an original MW wheelset? it doesn't make any sense at all.
I don't think this is one for the cabinet, but it's not one for the beater box either. It belongs in the twilight limbo world of curiosities.(If there's ever another NEC, please remind me to bring it with me.)
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Idris wrote:...... the front and middle wheelsets are small GPW, whilst the rear one is MW.
Your photos seem to show the gpw as larger than the rear axle metal wheels. Generally the gpw on the 10 wheeler are 7.5 x 18. Any chance you could measure the wheels please. They also appear to have a mix of tread patterns.

Bert
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:
Idris wrote:...... the front and middle wheelsets are small GPW, whilst the rear one is MW.
Your photos seem to show the gpw as larger than the rear axle metal wheels. Generally the gpw on the 10 wheeler are 7.5 x 18. Any chance you could measure the wheels please. They also appear to have a mix of tread patterns.

Bert
Thank you, Bert. I'd forgotten that the GPW version's wheels are noticeably smaller. However, in this case, I think it's an optical illusion (or perhaps it merely looks like one :D ).
Measuring all wheels, both MW and GPW, on the same vernier callipers, they all come out at 7.95 mm diameter x 18 tread, The same callipers return the same diameter on a standard MW 15a, but a GPW 15a has 7.4 mm diameter wheels.
Conclusion: these are not 15a GPW. They are larger, and were presumably sourced to match the rear MW wheelset. Could they come from a single GPW 40a?
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

There are a few candidates for which 8x18gpw could be sourced from the 1959 period when this 15a ended
But I guess it depends when they were fitted as there are many choices for donors.
For example 5b bus with 8x18gpw 1958-1961.
Yes the 40a could be a source and here is a list of other sources for 8x18gpw.
5c, 7a, 7b, 10b, 11b, 13b, 16b, 17b, 20a, 20b, 21c, 23c, 23d, 33a, 39a, 60a
By the way this list is not quite complete.

Speaking of illusions, to me the wheels on the middle axle on left side have the sheen and tread profile of a silver plastic wheel.
However I do not think there is a 8x18spw but there is a 7.5x18spw

If that is the case the 20b and the 35a both use 7.5x18 and 8x18.

Lots of interesting aspects about this model with axle patina, length, axle ends apart from the wheels.

Bert
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:Speaking of illusions, to me the wheels on the middle axle on left side have the sheen and tread profile of a silver plastic wheel.
Looking at the photographs, I see exactly what you mean. However, all the wheels are definitely either GPW or MW.
It's good that we now know the 'what', but frustrating that we will never know the 'why'.
incidentally, I note that the track of a 40a is significantly wider than that of a 15a, meaning that snipping the ends off the 40a axles would not only provide the six GPW that we see, but also two, perfectively serviceable axles to put them on.