The Restorations forum "Toybox Lounge"

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
Tinman

The Restorations forum "Toybox Lounge"

Post by Tinman »

I'm going to roll this out and see if there is any interest. It's a Lounge forum within the Restorations forum and it's just for resto and customs folk to hang out and discuss issues within this side of the hobby. Subjects like paint complaints, paint issues and associated sundry items needed to do the job. Tools, replacements parts, decal issues ect. I got the idea when Mr. Pop and I started an off topic conversation in a for sale thread. So I thought it might be a good idea for a lounge just for us resto and custom nerds. Let me know what you think and just drop in and say hello if nothing else.

I'll get the ball rolling and start with a reply.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
Tinman

Re: The Restorations forum "Toybox Lounge"

Post by Tinman »

Over the last few months, I've been pulling out my hair trying to make decals.  It all started when my faithful HP "All in One" died. The wife had to have a very specific replacement HP All in One printer that was specified by JP Morgan Chase (her employer).  A little background here, her office is at home and she spends the bulk of her working time on the road traveling around the USA and Canada to appear in Depositions, Hearings and Court Trials for JP Morgan. She is a key person in their Legal Department and all her digital equipment has to have a ton of security encryption. Below is a photo of the printer.

Instead of sending the printed material straight out into a tray, it doubles back a second time and goes into a space saving tray under the scanner/copy platen.  The result is that any thing printed on glossy paper (like photo paper, glossy card stock or decal paper), the ink gets smeared during that final 180* turn around. Especially red and black for some reason.

So I acquired a second printer, a Lexmark Pinacle (sic) Pro901.  So far, I've had limited success with it. One issue is that I can not get it to photocopy in color. It does not want to fill in larger solid color areas very well and leaves them blotchy.  Aside from the B&W photocopy issues (which could be some kind of setting issue), I suspect the problem is with the type of ink.  I know that inks that produce the best photo reproductions are different from ink-jet inks that are used for basic color printing on plain paper (and it does a nice job of printing on plain paper).So now I'm doing ink research for ink-jet printers. I'm thinking that I might be better off ditching the Lexmark and buying a photo printer that uses a 5 cartridge (or five color ink system). The HP and Lexmark are conventional with three ink colors and black (4 color system).

Anyone out there have any ideas, info or advice on the ink-jet printers that are best for decal paper (or photos) and they must be able to scan existing photos or decals for reproduction!?
Attachments
My Lexmark that does a not very good job on decals.
My Lexmark that does a not very good job on decals.
My wife's HP printer that smears everything on glossy paper.
My wife's HP printer that smears everything on glossy paper.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I forgot to mention that around 2010 I bought an HP color laser printer for about $500 USD.  That turned out to be a really bad investment (it also did copies and scans). It did not have a high pixel count and was useless for most detailed work as well as photos.  It also had some super expensive toner. It came loaded with toner cartridges that were about 1/4 or 1/3 full (black + three colors). The color cartridges ran out very quickly and all too soon I discovered that replacements for the three color toner cartridges was about $400.00 USD!! Black was under $100 USD but still too much money.  Each cartridge also had a micro chip that prevented refill or generic replacement (at that time).  The printer head also became problematic while in warranty and that problem continued when the all too short warranty expired. 

Lesson learned! A bunch of money spent and not one usable decal produced. Even photo reproductions looked like they came from some entry level ink-jet printer from 1989. I was also left with a bunch of expensive decal paper made specifically for laser printers. That paper (news flash) will not work in an ink-jet so it became more expensive trash.

So, the search goes on and any help or advice gladly accepted.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I've been doing some printer research and there are several options that are rated as excellent for vinyl and photo paper. At the $500 USD range and up to $1,000 you can get ones that print using six to eight inks and also print white. Below the $500 USD range there are some three, four and six color printers that are also decent for decal work. Since I can't justify shelling out $600 to $1,000 on a printer, I am going to narrow down the choices that are below $500.00 USD. When I finish my research, I'll post my findings here. If anyone else has any ides, input or experience in photo and vinyl rated printers, please chime in.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Count me in--------

I have used Canon since 2001. I have had three printers altogether that have cost no more than £35 each....I have only once bought a replacement cartridge at ASDA[Wallmart] for £22...My present printer has been ticking over for 5 years and last week I checked how to deep clean my cartriges on Youtube and found I had been doing it wronge all the time..It now works perfectly again and this week I printed some plain black writing Walls Decals for a Timpo with great success...........
Now heres a thing..I know I am a cheap skate but if you bought a dearer Canon as I think would be no problem to you I bet the results would be very satisfying....Oh if you do get a printer that prints white PLEASE let me know and I would would be very grateful to use your services at no cost to you.....All materials and post would be supplied from UK to USA with thanks..Ian.
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

misterpop wrote:Count me in--------

I have used Canon since 2001. I have had three printers altogether that have cost no more than £35 each....I have only once bought a replacement cartridge at ASDA[Wallmart] for £22...My present printer has been ticking over for 5 years and last week I checked how to deep clean my cartriges on Youtube and found I had been doing it wronge all the time..It now works perfectly again and this week I printed some plain black writing Walls Decals for a Timpo with great success...........
Now heres a thing..I know I am a cheap skate but if you bought a dearer Canon as I think would be no problem to you I bet the results would be very satisfying....Oh if you do get a printer that prints white PLEASE let me know and I would would be very grateful to use your services at no cost to you.....All materials and post would be supplied from UK to USA with thanks..Ian.
There is a member here that does have a printer that prints white (I forget his name). I've not had any contact with him outside of a thread, but hoping he might still be reading the forums and comment.

I just printed these decals on clear paper with my Lexmark and they came out crisp and with good color depth (go figure). The thing continues to be hit/miss.
Attachments
Noahs arc welding.jpg
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Hit and miss indeed...I remember ages ago when I first went on Planet Diecast there was lots of talk on there of decals..Maybe it was one of the admin on there talking of getting one..
Was an ALPS printer if memory serves me.....
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

misterpop wrote:Hit and miss indeed...I remember ages ago when I first went on Planet Diecast there was lots of talk on there of decals..Maybe it was one of the admin on there talking of getting one..
Was an ALPS printer if memory serves me.....
Ahh, yes, the infamous ALPS printer.  It will print in not only white but gold and silver as well.They are no longer made (and haven't been for a while now). However, they were and are very popular in certain circles and there is a big business of manufactured (refurbished) ALPS printers.  At last check (a few years back). I found a reconditioned one for $500.00 (less toner).  The toner cartridges for these are very expensive and require refills with dye type inks (no idea about the metallic "inks"). Finding someone local to make any needed repairs on one might also be an issue (along with spare parts). 

Needless to say, no way I was going to invest that much money in reconditioned printer, long since off the market and with all the above issues. I just looked one up on Amazon and there is a used one for one thousand USD.  They also list a white ink cartridge for $350.00 USD.I'd be better off buying a brand new printer with a 6 or 8 color system that is designed for glossy paper and vinyl printing with a high pixel count. One can be had with ink (and warranty plus support) for $999.00 USD.  However, I'm currently reviewing some other much lower cost options and (thought you might like to know) Cannon has a couple in the running.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

My painting work has ground to halt for about two weeks now as the monsoon season is upon me. I hope October brings much less rain and lower humidity. I've a back log of models stripped and prepped, ready for paint. I tried to do three of them a couple of days ago before the rains came that day. Now I have three models that need to be stripped and re-primed.

:cry:
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Florida =Rain///Manchester = Heat wave go figure....Was it the dreaded bloom?? Or did you leave them out to dry in a shower.....I shoot mine in the front porch and then bring them back to the kitchen table and just say call it my finger nail day.. :D