New Zealand TINK E TOYS lead car????

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
mashdie

New Zealand TINK E TOYS lead car????

Post by mashdie »

Kia ora from New Zealand!

I found this old TINK E TOYS lead toy car whilst metal detecting an old beach area. I have tried extensive research over here... the only thing I can come up with is the man who used to make TINK E TOYS was also a furniture maker and his work is now for sale in the “posh shops” in Auckland. I think it must be an old rip off of the name Dinky Toys?

I would love to know how old it is, what car it may be (Bugatti?), and any other information you guys may be able to enlighten me with.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help - it is most appreciated!!!

I have resized the images and added some minor enhancement for better viewing.
Ghosthunter.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: New Zealand TINK E TOYS lead car????

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

My guess would be that the model represents a pre-war Hotchkiss.
mashdie

Post by mashdie »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Some Tink-E-Toys here.
https://www.funhotoys.co.nz/Fun-Ho-Hist ... -Toys.aspx
Thanks for the help with the photos ghost hunter!

I have already emailed the owner of fun ho toys.... he hasn’t got a clue what it is!

Thanks
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Haven't been on in a long time due to wife's health issues. Was flicking through the forums and spotted this post - I can provide some information on Tink-E Toys due to the recent publication of a book on New Zealand made toys by a close friend of mine - "Toys of Road Vehicles Made in New Zealand" by Carville Stewart, published by Carville and printed by Microfilm Digital Print Ltd. ISBN 978-0-473-51477-8. Copies are available from the author via the TradeMe auction site (trademe.co.nz, seller is grignard48) - PM me if overseas and I'll pass on his email address.

"Tink-E Toys"
Tink-E Toys were die-cast lead toys and sundries, believed to be made by Bruce Watt Ltd. They operated out of a workshop in Manukau Road, Epson in the 1940s and from retail premises, called Storkline Childrens Centre Ltd. at 154 Broad way, Newmarket".

NOTE 1: the addresses quoted above are in Auckland, New Zealand

It has been noted the toys have been found with "Tink-E Toys USA" on the base and it is possible the dies originated in the United States and were modified to incorporate the Tink-E Toys brand name. NOTE 2: several of the toys resemble Hubley and Tootsietoys.

9 different racing cars were produced in lead in different sizes ranging from 185mm long down to 90mm long. NOTE 3: some were also made in zinc/aluminium alloy.
If we accept this resembles the Dinky 23b Hotchkiss then the casting should be 94mm long. The book shows a "streamlined racing car" that resembles the photo in Mashdie's original posting with the 6 into one exhaust system.

Tink-E Toys also produced copies of the Dinky 23e Speed of the Wind and Dinky 23d Auto Union.

Ian (in Wellington, NZ)
mashdie

Post by mashdie »

Thanks for your reply!
I am in Tauranga myself and found it on a beach!
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

mashdie wrote:Thanks for your reply!
I am in Tauranga myself and found it on a beach!
Clearly you are not a fisherman or it would have been melted down for weights! :lol:

Ian