A tangent to vinyl toys

Not British, But were in the EEC now!
dkenner

A tangent to vinyl toys

Post by dkenner »

Not really sure how one would classify vinyl, or rubber, toys. Tomte's (of Norway) advertising that they were "furniture friendly" might read nicely, but when an eight year old slams one into a highly polished table top, Mother knows almost immediately. But, took a tangent from the searching for the matchbox, HO sized (roughly) models when some of these toys kept popping up, but when quickly passing by, realised that they didn't all look alike. So, stopped and gathered photos and started to note the differences for fun.

Though incomplete, I believe, I found almost identical Series II 109 pick-ups.

From Tomte in the Sixties, which are easy to identfy from the passenger sitting in the rear box of the pick up. Passenger is in a bit of a precarious position, as the number of toys where the passenger's head is missing is high. The bonnet mounted spare is black and sits on a peg. In theory a real spare, unlike all of the rest

Next up was MiniFlex of Hong Kong. It sports a bonnet mounted spare which looks to be a military bar grip, sunk about two thirds of the way into the bonnet.

Vinyl Line of West Germany made yet another. Spare on the bonnet is more pronounced, and comes in two mslightly different castings. With a tool box marks in the casting, and without. (Tool box in the back of a 109 pick up or station wagon is in the wheel well, towards the rear. Really, you just have the top that opens exposing a space within the rear box.

Found a couple of other outliers. "Miracle Mart", which is close to MiniFlex, but different details on the underside (Taiwan, rather than Hong Kong), and "Mini Scale Model Cars", which I could find nothing n beyond a photo of the toy in a box with six other vinyl cars.

Oh, Plasto of Finland makes a vinyl Range Rover if you like that version of the British Leylnd product line.

Just a Saturday diversion. BTW, where do these vinyl toys sit? Trying to find any history on how these toys arose is difficult. Well, cheap. Colourful. Save (or were considered so_

Regards,

Dixon
Dixon Kenner
http://www.lrfaq.org | 1:1 scale models - 1950, 51, & 52 Land-Rovers, 1976 101FC
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: A tangent to vinyl toys

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The vinyl, rubber and plastic toy vehicles do not have a specific area on this forum but are just as facinating to study and collect as metal diecast vehicles.

Members here who are 'Make' specific collectors such as a Jaguar collector will have included such toys in their collections.

Tomte is a good example of a range of vehicles produced for long enough to be able to search out variations and the many colour issues.

I collect the Tomte Bentley copied from the Dinky Toys model.
Found this image on the internet.

Ghosthunter.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Modern Matchbox are pretty much Plastic Toys/Models with hardly enough metal (on most) to be considered diecast.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
dkenner

Post by dkenner »

Tinman wrote:Modern Matchbox are pretty much Plastic Toys/Models with hardly enough metal (on most) to be considered diecast.
I would tend to agree. I'd also observe that the introduction and integration of CAD/CAM makes them rather alike.

Rgds,

Dixon
Dixon Kenner
http://www.lrfaq.org | 1:1 scale models - 1950, 51, & 52 Land-Rovers, 1976 101FC
Fox

Post by Fox »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The vinyl, rubber and plastic toy vehicles do not have a specific area on this forum but are just as facinating to study and collect as metal diecast vehicles.

Members here who are 'Make' specific collectors such as a Jaguar collector will have included such toys in their collections.

Tomte is a good example of a range of vehicles produced for long enough to be able to search out variations and the many colour issues.

I collect the Tomte Bentley copied from the Dinky Toys model.
Imageg
Found this image on the internet.

Ghosthunter.
Lol seems that internet kept some of my pictures.

Here are the major five

Corgi-toys ergo sum
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This can always be a problem with un-credited internet pictures and I had a feeling the image I posted of the three Tomte Bentley models may have been yours Stephane, but it was such a good picture I continued to post it un-credited. If you want me to remove it I can but If you are happy for it to stay there I will add a credit.

Ghosthunter.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Don't worry Kevin.
I don't mind about credit. I'm happy that they can enrich a post.
All my pictures are made to be shared. Except when somebody use them to fool someone else or make profit.

I love rubber/vinyl and plastic toy for the color they give to a display case, the light they bring to life.
Corgi-toys ergo sum
dkenner

Post by dkenner »

Fox wrote:I love rubber/vinyl and plastic toy for the color they give to a display case, the light they bring to life.
The colours are striking and quite colourful.
Dixon Kenner
dkenner

Post by dkenner »

Found a couple unknowns while trolling eBay and various sites -

The first is a Series II 109 pick-up. Looks to be a copy of the Vinyl Line version from the similar bonnet mounted spate, though it lacks the detail of the original. The dash vents are also completely recessed. The details that a long time Land-Rover owner remembers, especially when trying to fit new gaskets to them and they no longer want to close and you sue cement blocks to "help". The other is a Series II 88. It simply says "Made in Hong Kong" on the bottom. One has an "8" in the casting, the other an upside down "7".

Hope attaching photos works.
Attachments
One of two nearly identical SII 88's
One of two nearly identical SII 88's
Toy - vinyl - unknown - Series II 88, green, no 7, hong kong 1-66 scale - PHOTO - Front left three quarter view from more above.png (953.21 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
From www.oudennieuwarchief.nl
From www.oudennieuwarchief.nl
Toy - Vinyl - Unknown - From hong kong, green copy of .jpg (51.58 KiB) Viewed 7355 times
Dixon Kenner
Fox

Post by Fox »

Nice Land Rover !
Corgi-toys ergo sum