Covid-19 and Ebay

Anything eBay, Tell us your story, win lose or warn!
Idris
Site Admin

Covid-19 and Ebay

Post by Idris »

What do Members think has been the effect (if any) of covid-19 and the lockdowns on Ebay? Have prices risen? Is there more or less available? Have any gems come out of the woodwork?
I thought that ,with people spending more time at home and dealers having no other outlet, the range of items would increase dramatically, and some tasty morsels would surface. However, I have seen no evidence of this and, if anything, would say that what is being listed is significantly poorer than normal. At the moment, I'm not even watching any models, and I haven't placed a bid on any for at least a fortnight if not 3 weeks.
ClOwY

Re: Covid-19 and Ebay

Post by ClOwY »

I share the same view as you.
Gary
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I'm a shut in like most everyone else. I'm happy to have time to dig through the beaters and do some restorations and customs.  I've done 48 regular wheel 1-75 models, one Major Pack and I'm about to finish up a King Size Tractor Transporter. All but 12 of these have already sold on ebay and 12 are currently listed and available.  My non-scientific observation is stuff is selling and people are buying.

I've also bought a couple things off ebay during this time.

I sold a model to a customer in Germany. When I went (online) to fill out the Customs form and purchase a shipping label, I was informed that Germany was not accepting privately mailed packages due to the virus.  I was offered "Ebay Delivery" (it mentioned nothing about Global Shipping) and the cost for "Ebay Delivery" was exactly the same as the cheapest method via the US Postal Service.  So, the package went via "Ebay Delivery" whatever that means.  My guess is that it's similar to Global Shipping in that they handle packages in a bulk manner like a commercial shipment.  I have no idea if the buyer will encounter any additional fees and what I could read about the "Ebay Delivery" did not mention any additional fees or charges.  I'm wondering if as anyone else had an encounter with "Ebay Delivery for overseas packages?
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

In the UK the number of new items seemed to fall just after lockdown was announced, but it's now close to normal. I agree with Hugh, though - there's not much that's good and I've only watched a few items and not bid on any. Prices seem strong for the few good things around - I thought £250 for this SF Dodge wrecker with the Esso labels was expensive, though it certainly looks good. Group lots of older RWs in poor condition seem to be making good money too - will we see lots of brilliant restorations in Tinman's forum in the coming weeks?
Last edited by DrJeep on Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

DrJeep wrote: will we see lots of brilliant restorations in Tinman's forum in the coming weeks?
The top sellers are usually the ones that worry the purists the most, I will not be posting those on the forum cause no one needs extra stress these days.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

DrJeep wrote:Prices seem strong for the few good things around - I thought £250 for this Matchbox-Superfast-no-13-Dodge-Wreck-Truck with the Esso labels was expensive, though it certainly looks good.
Hi Glenn

I wonder if the buyer of this actually thought they were buying the G1 gift set along with the 32 Burmah label tanker. The description is not clear…. but the G1 used box and very worn garage is still for sale.
I see where the 32 Burmah was sold by same seller elsewhere.

Bert
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

I saw the Burmah tanker too, but £71 seemed a reasonably sensible price, though still a lot to pay for a label.
Tinman wrote:The top sellers are usually the ones that worry the purists the most, I will not be posting those on the forum cause no one needs extra stress these days.
Sorry, Joe - I should have worded that better. I meant that I hoped these new purchasers of expensive beaters would show off their work! I’m enjoying all of yours - please do keep showing them!
Rob

Post by Rob »

The other rarity of this tanker is the grey base instead of usual chrome, the model pictured shows signs of wear but in my opinion the combination of base and label means that the sale price was fair.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

yellowfoden wrote:
DrJeep wrote:Prices seem strong for the few good things around - I thought £250 for this Matchbox-Superfast-no-13-Dodge-Wreck-Truck with the Esso labels was expensive, though it certainly looks good.
Hi Glenn

I wonder if the buyer of this actually thought they were buying the G1 gift set along with the 32 Burmah label tanker. The description is not clear…. but the G1 used box and very worn garage is still for sale.
I see where the 32 Burmah was sold by same seller elsewhere.

Bert
Even more disturbing is the fact that this variation can be made in seconds with a simple switch of paper labels. Unless it has super strong provenance it's not worth a penny more than the common variation. Total waste of money and a very foolish purchase!
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Rob wrote:The other rarity of this tanker is the grey base instead of usual chrome, the model pictured shows signs of wear but in my opinion the combination of base and label means that the sale price was fair.
Once again, unless it has super strong provenance this one too is a total waste of money. Anyone following the conversations in the YY forums over the years knows how quickly a chrome part can be stripped without harm to the model. As for the label - another very simple switch could produce this model.