#72 SRN 6 Hovercraft

one new model to be updated each week
nearlymint

#72 SRN 6 Hovercraft

Post by nearlymint »

Just going through some doubles and noticed this slight difference in the castings(left model, early casting), I have a model with incomplete date on the base which also has no ridge below the windows.
72 Hovercraft.JPG (80.68 KiB) Viewed 10601 times
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
motorman

Re: #72 SRN 6 Hovercraft

Post by motorman »

Very interesting J and I was not aware of this. It would appear from the image that this extra strengthening has been cast not just in the front under the cabin windows but appears to run along the entire length of the model under the side windows as well.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

motorman wrote:Very interesting J and I was not aware of this. It would appear from the image that this extra strengthening has been cast not just in the front under the cabin windows but appears to run along the entire length of the model under the side windows as well.
Hi Alex,
Yes correct it goes all the way round, this model had been in my to "to check" box for about a year. Next stop would have been eBay or on my website, but seeing as its different I get to keep it.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
motorman

Post by motorman »

nearlymint wrote:
motorman wrote:Very interesting J and I was not aware of this. It would appear from the image that this extra strengthening has been cast not just in the front under the cabin windows but appears to run along the entire length of the model under the side windows as well.
Hi Alex,
Yes correct it goes all the way round, this model had been in my to "to check" box for about a year. Next stop would have been eBay or on my website, but seeing as its different I get to keep it.
J
Yes mate that’s a keeper. I wonder at what point in the time line this modification to the tooling took place?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

motorman wrote:I wonder at what point in the time line this modification to the tooling took place?
As a first step, I would have though a straw poll of Members would offer an indication.

I've just had a look, and I don't have an example of the early casting.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

No, I don't have one either, though it's not a model I've gone out of my way to acquire. There is another similar casting difference at the back.
IMG_7953.jpg
IMG_7953.jpg (475.89 KiB) Viewed 10293 times
I think it's just a result of paired castings, as both these are obvious in several of the pictures on Christian's site too.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:
motorman wrote:I wonder at what point in the time line this modification to the tooling took place?
As a first step, I would have though a straw poll of Members would offer an indication.

I've just had a look, and I don't have an example of the early casting.
Well, it would seem that only Jason has an example of this particular casting.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Not that surprising really... :lol:

Ghosty.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

No. It's good to know that in an ever-changing world, there are still some constants. :D