Which Minic have I bought please?!

Iain P

Which Minic have I bought please?!

Post by Iain P »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to collecting and restoring diecast vehicles. I received a super little clockwork model today, bought from eBay, and the seller thinks it's probably a Minic. The clockwork mechanism is exactly the same as the other Minics I have so presumably that's what it is but confirmation of what model it is would be great, as the back of the vehicle is missing completely! It's very small, just a couple of inches in length. Inside on the roof of the body, are the letters BY.
There are lots of close up photos here on my blog. Thanks for looking. Iain
https://fouragesofsand.blogspot.com/202 ... lenge.html
YYS4BOB

Re: Which Minic have I bought please?!

Post by YYS4BOB »

Could be Schuco.
Bob
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I think it may be from the KAY 'Midge Mechanical' range or from this range...viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5786

Ghosthunter.
Iain P

Post by Iain P »

That's great guys. Ghosthunter: You cracked it!
The middle red vehicle on that link is identical, and that's a Teeny Toy (Cleveland Manufacturing Of London 1940’s-1950’s )
A search online finds the same model, now sold, which confirms the size, 55mm in length, and the fact that the clockwork mechanism is easily removed from the housing. It even has the rear doors missing too, and best of all: "Inside the Diecast body it is stamped BY".
Now I just need to find a photo of the back so I can rebuild the doors. As mentioned in the link, there seems to be no other information widely available about the range or the manufacturer.

I'll post the restoration result here when complete.
Many thank, Iain
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I know someone who owns a collection of the Teeny Toy models and I have messaged him asking for a picture of the rear of that saloon car for you.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I think it may be from the KAY 'Midge Mechanical' range or from this range...viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5786
Well remembered, Kevin!
Iain P

Post by Iain P »

That's great Kevin. I'll wait to hear before diving in!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

The Gentleman who owns the Teeny Toy collection had a number of the toys photographed by a friend for a model club newsletter. I contacted the photographer asking for a set of duplicate pictures especially showing the back of the toy you want to restore. Sadly the back of the car was not photographed as part of the set so he could not help me. The owner of the toys is over 82 and does not do any photography himself and due to the current situation with social distancing, I am unable to visit him and do the pictures myself, how unfortunite as he does not live too far way from me!

All I can suggest is make a set of doors from thin plasticard with basic cut out windows. I can not imagine a toy of this nature to have any elaborately designed rear doors and if I manage to get some pictures, you can remove the plastic ones and make some better ones based on what is pictured.

Ghosthunter.
Iain P

Post by Iain P »

Thank you for your efforts, much appreciated! I'll do something creative but non permanent then. And as promised will show the result here, good or bad.
Iain
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Yes please do show it after your rebuild.
I suggest you post the pictures with a before and after pair here...https://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.u ... m.php?f=18

Ghosthunter.