Lone Star Roadmaster Flyers values

Morestone, Benbros, Charbens, DCMT, Kemlows & Moko.
Squid

Lone Star Roadmaster Flyers values

Post by Squid »

A certain US seller has a few Lone Star Roadmaster Flyers on offer. Prices range from $4.99 (a scruffy Imperial police car and an Alfa Romeo Spider missing a wheel cap) to $29.99 (nice-looking boxed examples). As I can't recall ever having seen Lone Stars offered by a US seller, I'm curious as to whether these prices are fair.
fixer

Re: Lone Star Roadmaster Flyers values

Post by fixer »

There's actually quite a strong market in the USA for lone star sales and I have had several when the purchase/post have combination has been worth it
$30 isn't bad for a nice alfa, don't worry about a missing wheel cap it's a 5 minute job to swap the axles
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I've looked at the Alfa and I don't think any of the wheels are original Lone-Star fitment. The wheels on these are a single moulding (Like the Lesney Superfast wheels), and yet the front nearside is clearly a two part wheel with the outer face (that has the hot foil design), missing.

Reg does say it is easy to rectify so buy the Alfa with the intention of replacing both sets of wheels.

Ghosthunter.
fixer

Post by fixer »

Not looked at this particular listing but some of the later 5 spoke design are a 2 part wheel with a backing disc fixed to the axle and a clip on cover with the spoke pattern, a bit like the old hotwheels redlines
reg
fixer

Post by fixer »

If this is the one being discussed I wouldn't buy it as the missing hood/bonnet is a pain to match and replace
The wheels are the later 2 piece flyers ones and are actually a little thicker when compared to others
Attachments
20200218_110424_copy_640x445.jpg
20200218_110424_copy_640x445.jpg (39.43 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
reg
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I have never seen those two part wheels Reg, well done for teaching me something useful... :D

Ghosty.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Thanks for the insight, gentlemen. It's nice to know there are sellers who don't have their heads stuck in the clouds with no hope of extraction!

I noticed the less expensive Alfa's cap wheels, but not its missing hood (or bonnet or engine lid, as you prefer). Were it not for that, I'd be tempted to buy it and repaint it in red.

I'm a bit surprised that Ghosty didn't say anything about the seller's Rolls-Royce. It's not very often that one sees die-cast pieces with functioning butterfly hoods!
Lone_Star_Silver_Cloud_eBay_Item_143442395456.jpg
Lone_Star_Silver_Cloud_eBay_Item_143442395456.jpg (60.75 KiB) Viewed 4852 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

OK. Its the second of two known versions in the metallic red (technically there are three versions with only a different interior colour). Second because of the plastic suspension instead of the spring steel suspension used in the first version as shown in my picture below.

It looks to be in very good condition complete with its delicate windscreen.

Ghosthunter.
Squid

Post by Squid »

Thanks again for the information. The Lone Stars, though nice models, aren't something I would go out of my way to buy. However, if one snuck in as part of a lot, I'd have nary an objection.
fixer

Post by fixer »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:I have never seen those two part wheels Reg, well done for teaching me something useful... :D

Ghosty.
Blimey that's a first
reg