New member from Canada

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
DGinBC

New member from Canada

Post by DGinBC »

Hello all.
Thanks for the add to the forum. I have been lurking for awhile waiting for the admins to okay my login.
I recently opened a steamer trunk that I had been storing in the basement. It had not been opened since the mid 60's, but I knew what was stored in it. Having retired, I thought it might be time to do an inventory.
I was pleased to see most of the "toys" were still in their original boxes and showed little to no wear. These included Matchbox cars, trucks and buildings; Marklin HO electric train sets and a Meccano erector set. All of these were purchased in Europe during the 50's and 60's.
I started with the Matchboxes; taking photos and researching their history (who knew there are so many variations?) I was surprised and pleased to see the value of early models are on the rise.
I will have many questions about some of the variations, such as how to differentiate between SPW's and GPW's. I have some that could pass for either looking at the photos on this forum and the MCF Facebook site.
More to come later, but time to test a photo upload ...

Dwayne
Attachments
MB catalogs.gif
MB catalogs.gif (170.02 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
Dwayne on the left coast.
Squid

Re: New member from Canada

Post by Squid »

Welcome to the forum, Dwayne. Differentiating between SPWs and GPWs should be easy if you have an example of each in-hand, and a little harder in a photo. Another member will be able to better explain it. The catalogs are very nice to have, especially if they're in good condition!
MatchboxFreak

Post by MatchboxFreak »

Welcome to the forum Dwayne.

Your test photo turned out very well. Well sized, well light, good color balance, and generally in focus. And most importantly, your pocket catalogs look great! Nice to see the early 60’s editions. Your basement must be very dry to have preserved these papers for so long.

We look forward to more photos of your treasures.

Enjoy!
Happy hunting!
Kurt
motorman

Post by motorman »

Welcome Dwayne, please ask questions there are many learned members here who will be happy to give you advice. And don’t forget to post lots of pictures.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
DGinBC

Post by DGinBC »

Thank you all for the welcomes.
Here are some photos ....
Attachments
MB M-2 Articulated tyre truck.jpg
MB M-2 Articulated tyre truck.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
MB M-7 Cattle Truck.jpg
MB M-7 Cattle Truck.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
MB 25 VW sedan.jpg
MB 25 VW sedan.jpg (94.23 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
MB 25 B.P. Tanker.jpg
MB 25 B.P. Tanker.jpg (74.41 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
MB 19 Aston Martin racer.jpg
MB 19 Aston Martin racer.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Has anyone seen this Foden Sugar Container without the decals?
Has anyone seen this Foden Sugar Container without the decals?
MB 10 Foden3.jpg (82.74 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Squid

Post by Squid »

Quite a nice group of models, and they all look to be in good shape. I especially like the Volkswagen.
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

DGinBC wrote:Thank you all for the welcomes.
Here are some photos ....Has anyone seen this Foden Sugar Container without decals....

Welcome to the forum Dwayne,

The Foden is one of my most liked of the Lesney castings.
This one is interesting without the decals because it appears to have a different blue colour cap on the back.

Is there any chance you could take photos please of the back, other side and the base.

I wonder if this one was reserved for another promotional, the British Sugar Corporation, hence the lack of decals.

See more here

By the way these are all nice photos and of course the models are excellent.

Could you also please shed some more light on what the stamp is on the inside of the number 19 Aston Martin. The driver looks like he is worried about his low fuel gauge!! Perhaps a full photo of inside end flap ;) if you would be so kind.

Great story by the way, I have a similar defence force trunk that is packed full of model railway, unbuilt kits and some diecast from 1973 and waiting to be set free when room permits.

Bert
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:This one is interesting without the decals...
One of my favourite models, I keen a keen eye on the 10c Fodens offered on Ebay, and whilst as-good-as mint examples without decals do turn up, they are by no means common. However, they crop up often enough for me to seriously wonder whether there might not have been an early batch released without decals (c.f. the 6b Euclid).
DGinBC

Post by DGinBC »

This one is interesting without the decals because it appears to have a different blue colour cap on the back.

Is there any chance you could take photos please of the back, other side and the base.

Hi Bert,
I think the color is the same on the back ... just an illusion.
Attachments
MB 10 Foden base.jpg
MB 10 Foden base.jpg (61.19 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
MB 10 Foden Sugar Container2.jpg
MB 10 Foden Sugar Container2.jpg (145.83 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
MB 10 Foden Sugar Container1.jpg
MB 10 Foden Sugar Container1.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
DGinBC

Post by DGinBC »

Could you also please shed some more light on what the stamp is on the inside of the number 19 Aston Martin. The driver looks like he is worried about his low fuel gauge!! Perhaps a full photo of inside end flap ;) if you would be so kind.

Yes Bert ... the stamp is from the original retailer, Muhlhauser in Vienna, Austria. I have several boxes that have the same stamp on the end flaps. A google search of the name and address indicates they are no longer in business. It was a wonderful store to visit.
The "leaning" driver is just going through a corner ... :lol:
Attachments
MB box endflap wMuhlhauser stamp.jpg
MB box endflap wMuhlhauser stamp.jpg (68.67 KiB) Viewed 3360 times