PayPal Scam Warning

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Idris
Site Admin

PayPal Scam Warning

Post by Idris »

Today, I received a worrying e-mail which, at first sight, seemed plausible. The first part of it read:

"Changes In Your PayPal Account.
Hello,
During Our Daily Security check, we noticed an unrecognized device logged into your PayPal Account.
And Some Changes were made in your Account which includes:
• Changes in Your Billing Address
• Changes in Your Phone Number
• Changes in Your Card Details
For Security Reasons this Changes Has Been Placed on Hold Till the next 48 Hours
Didn't Recognize this Changes?
"

However, closer inspection revealed mistakes in the English (e.g. "this changes"), and hovering over the hyperlinks showed that they pointed somewhere other than PayPal. A visit to PayPal by typing the URL into the browser showed everything to be in order.

So, be on your guard, don't get into a flap when you get an e-mail like this, and don't click on any links. If you are less than 100% certain that the message is genuine, always access the website concerned via another route (e.g. Google if you can't remember the URL).
YYS4BOB

Re: PayPal Scam Warning

Post by YYS4BOB »

Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

YYS4BOB wrote:Check here

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/s ... rt-problem

Forward it to spoof@paypal.com without opening it.
Thanks for the link. E-mail sent.
fixer

Post by fixer »

I had one of these and a HMRC's tax too
I never respond via the links provided but always give direct to the relevant website. Changed my password there just incase
reg
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I get these now and again and recently I had a flurry of Amazon phishing emails. It's a scattergun approach, around the world the perpetrators send approx a trillion phishing emails a year and if they hook a tiny percentage then they're in the money. Same advice as before, never click on links in an email and report them to the relevant site. It's also good practice to use different passwords for each website that you login to.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels