Corgi 251-A-5 Hillman Imp - Jensens

Is it genuine or is it fake?
toysnz

Corgi 251-A-5 Hillman Imp - Jensens

Post by toysnz »

Has any one ever seen a genuine Jensen's Hillman Imp? I have one in light blue that I bought because I thought it was a Code 3, it was the right price, and I figured it would fill a hole.

When I got it I noted some imperfections in the actual casting (boot, bonnet, top of doors by the sills, front of roof) but it doesn't look as if the base has ever been off and the inside of the casting is the same light blue as the exterior. As far as I'm aware there are/were no other Imps in this pale/light blue.

Now wondering if it is a restoration of an authentic item... either way it doesn't matter as I've got my hole filled. Comments please....

Ian

Idris
Site Admin

Re: Corgi 251-A-5 Hillman Imp - Jensens

Post by Idris »

If that model were mine, I would be concerned by the mismatch in wear between the baseplate and the bodyshell.
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Idris wrote:If that model were mine, I would be concerned by the mismatch in wear between the baseplate and the bodyshell.
Sheesh Idris!... As already stated I bought it assuming it to be a Code 3 - now wondering if it is a restoration of an original Jensen's... don't give two hoots about the mismatch between wear on base and body as I didn't buy it thinking it was the genuine article!

Ian
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Going by the paint finish I would say a repaint.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

toysnz wrote:
Idris wrote:If that model were mine, I would be concerned by the mismatch in wear between the baseplate and the bodyshell.
Sheesh Idris!... As already stated I bought it assuming it to be a Code 3 - now wondering if it is a restoration of an original Jensen's... don't give two hoots about the mismatch between wear on base and body as I didn't buy it thinking it was the genuine article!

Ian
Sorry - got hold of the wrong end of the stick. (Mondays are long, long days for me....)
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Try again (in the hope that I can redeem myself).

If it is a repainted original and the base has not been off (those rivets look completely untouched), then there should be (at least) two clues:
1) there will be areas where the paint has a double thickness, i.e. the original paint and then the new paint over the top. Since the non-removal of the baseplate means that the bodyshell cannot have been stripped, you should look in corners, crevices, and other had-to-clean places for evidence of the edge of a small area of original paint having been covered.
2) Assuming the paint inside the bodyshell is original, and that on the outside is not, there must be a join. The most obvious place to look is around the sills, probably on either the inside edge or the inside face. Failing that, try the wheel arches since they are fiddly and with poor access.
If you can find either of the above, that would seem to confirm that it is a repainted original.
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Idris wrote:Try again (in the hope that I can redeem myself).

If it is a repainted original and the base has not been off (those rivets look completely untouched), then there should be (at least) two clues:
1) there will be areas where the paint has a double thickness, i.e. the original paint and then the new paint over the top. Since the non-removal of the baseplate means that the bodyshell cannot have been stripped, you should look in corners, crevices, and other had-to-clean places for evidence of the edge of a small area of original paint having been covered.
2) Assuming the paint inside the bodyshell is original, and that on the outside is not, there must be a join. The most obvious place to look is around the sills, probably on either the inside edge or the inside face. Failing that, try the wheel arches since they are fiddly and with poor access.
If you can find either of the above, that would seem to confirm that it is a repainted original.
You've redeemed yourself :D

Ian
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Going by the paint finish I would say a repaint.
I agree Kevin - a repaint, but looking at the rough patches on the casting I'm wondering if it was originally a Jensens that someone has "restored". I'm not aware of this shade of blue being used on any other Corgi Imp. I'm going to check it thoroughly later to see if I can discern any over painted areas as Idris suggests... just have to find my loupe....

Ian
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Second draw down left hand side.. :)
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

toysnz wrote:
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Going by the paint finish I would say a repaint.
I agree Kevin - a repaint, but looking at the rough patches on the casting I'm wondering if it was originally a Jensens that someone has "restored". I'm not aware of this shade of blue being used on any other Corgi Imp. I'm going to check it thoroughly later to see if I can discern any over painted areas as Idris suggests... just have to find my loupe....

Ian
When I enhanced the picture to highlight the rough areas it gave me the impression of a genuine model that was first touched up then given an overall repaint when the touching up went wrong!

Ghosthunter.