Rover 3500 Collection

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
RacingFreak

Rover 3500 Collection

Post by RacingFreak »

Hello! Nice to see the site finally has new forums so I've finally registered here - glad to see a proper public forum mainly dedicated to our hobby :)

I've been always a fan of this casting, so after finally managing to find the other Superfast models of 70's, 80's and 90's I've been always wanting, one day I just decided to collect only Rover 3500 from then on! To be honest, it was mainly after re-watching "The Liver Run" and the first season of "The Bill" the main reasons of heavily inspiring me to achieve that one dream I had as kid... sadly back then I only could find the modern made matchbox models... now that I look at local sites and forums seems like there were a few, but glad those weren't in really mint condition :D

So far going great, got over 10 models (some where in poorer condition, which I put aside to have them restored when I have free time. I spared a few specially to do the cars from "The Liver Run" and "The Bill" ;) ). I currently plan to find and buy as much as mint condition ones as I can find.. however nowadays (or always was like that I presume!), it's hard to have one off ebay without some bidding wars or just having to miss out, that's why I check out other places, some "unknown" too :P

Highlight of the collection so far is indeed the yellow one I'd say.. enjoy the pics :geek:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

This one I've had shipped in from Australia! *note the correctly put tampos - a rare sight!*
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

That's all for now - will update the thread once I manage to get new ones.. I've put my eyes on to (hopefully) catch another yellow one or the holy grail on my list - PROD. Zona Franca de Manaus Inbrima S.A. Rover 3500 Police, but hopefully that will happen one day. I tend to absolutely avoid the one with Chrome siren - my god, it looks awful with that on top! I don't like so much the black stripes w/ yellow police livery one, but afterall it was a lucky ₤0.99 purchase together with a "decomissioned" Gran Fury (which will well be made into Bluesmobile!) :lol:

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Last edited by RacingFreak on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickjones
Site Admin

Re: Rover 3500 Collection

Post by nickjones »

Hi Racingfreak, Welcome to the forum. That's a nice collection of Rovers, Are they all made in the UK or are some Bulgarian issues?,
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
RacingFreak

Post by RacingFreak »

nickjones wrote:Hi Racingfreak, Welcome to the forum. That's a nice collection of Rovers, Are they all made in the UK or are some Bulgarian issues?,
Hey! All but the Police ones in blue w/ red stripes livery are made in England. Shame we haven't had the Rover 3500 casting in Bulgaria! Imagine how much interesting and new colors it would have had, I myself would definitely have bought atleast 100 at once, on these prices they have today! :lol:

Atleast the brazilians got it.

The blue w/ red stripes livery Police ones are made in Macau. I absolutely love that variation, shame it wasn't made in England. Cheers :)
motorman

Post by motorman »

Would you believe it..... a Bulgarian that collects English casts!!!!!

Have i just seen the light??? Is there reallly a god!!!!! Is my life changing for the better!!!!!

A round of applause, nae, a Choir singing, nae a 100 gun salute to Racing Freak who has provided me with some hope that this insane love of Bulgarian/Hungarian (abominations) castings is just a fad and that all you turn coats (you know who you are) will soon see sense and stop sucking farts out of dead pigeons!!!!!!

Let that be a lesson to YOU ALL!!!!! Wake up all of you!!!

I am away to lie down at this revelation.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
RacingFreak

Post by RacingFreak »

motorman wrote:Would you believe it..... a Bulgarian that collects English casts!!!!!

Have i just seen the light??? Is there reallly a god!!!!! Is my life changing for the better!!!!!

A round of applause, nae, a Choir singing, nae a 100 gun salute to Racing Freak who has provided me with some hope that this insane love of Bulgarian/Hungarian (abominations) castings is just a fad and that all you turn coats (you know who you are) will soon see sense and stop sucking farts out of dead pigeons!!!!!!

:shock:
Well, there are about 6-7 more "serious" collectors than me in Bulgaria, but some also collect other brands, etc.. I personally don't collect the bulgarian made ones that much, only got a few for a project and mainly the original run Miura and Cortina because they look better in the black interior and the better looking wheels they fitted in. I can't say those are "abominations", just a nice alternatives than to the boring looking (to me anyway) the Lesney colour variation for the Miura (why they had to put in white interior :| ), to say honest. Each to their own I guess ;)

I however know some of these people (in real-life I mean!), one of them accidentally found a Cortina in unopened blister pack in his garage!! :o

But as I have now concentrated onto the Rover 3500 I've put the other part of the collection stored in containers aside :D
fixer

Post by fixer »

motorman wrote:Would you believe it..... a Bulgarian that collects English casts!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
reg
ChFalkensteiner

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

RacingFreak wrote: This one I've had shipped in from Australia! *note the correctly put decals - a rare sight!*
Just to set the record straight: there are no decals on these models; they are all tampo printed.

Matchbox ceased to use decals on production models in the very early 1970s at the latest.
RacingFreak

Post by RacingFreak »

ChFalkensteiner wrote:
RacingFreak wrote: This one I've had shipped in from Australia! *note the correctly put decals - a rare sight!*
Just to set the record straight: there are no decals on these models; they are all tampo printed.

Matchbox ceased to use decals on production models in the very early 1970s at the latest.
Sorry about that silly mistake - got used too much to the word decals than tampos. Fixed - thanks ;)

BTW nice to see ya CFalkens! :)
mbox75

Post by mbox75 »

Hi RacingFreak
here the rare Rover with maltesecross Wheels.Cheers Mathias.

SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
RacingFreak

Post by RacingFreak »

mbox75 wrote:Hi RacingFreak
here the rare Rover with maltesecross Wheels.Cheers Mathias.

Great! Thanks for posting that one - how exactly rare is it? I don't recall ever coming across one with these wheels! :(