WHAT ELSE DO YOU COLLECT

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
petethesweet

WHAT ELSE DO YOU COLLECT

Post by petethesweet »

Hi all, often wondered what else some of our matchbox mates collect. I will start the ball rolling, one of my other passions are the old 1d slot machines which i take round to fetes & shows. I also collect Cap Badges which i started collecting 64 years ago & also Cast iron Cap Guns, which are getting hard to find, haven't picked a cap gun up in years seems to be a lot in the USA. but a lot of the sellers do not like sending them to the UK. Pete.
tjlglass

Re: WHAT ELSE DO YOU COLLECT

Post by tjlglass »

I’ve got over 100 cap guns Pete, mainly Lone Star I’ve also got 100’s of Football shirts lol.
petethesweet

Post by petethesweet »

Hi Tim, nice to hear from you. Thats a good collection of Cap Guns have you any cast iron ones. I have a rare cap gun not listed it has six hammers & six triggers. Pete.
Lee@kai76

Post by Lee@kai76 »

Hi Pete

I am also obsessed with collecting coins, mainly pre 1920 British Silver and also modern stuff If I like the look of them, and now here's one for you all... My little lad is obsessed with pokemon cards so I have had to learn about them all which hasn't been easy plus very strange for me :lol: I have placed them all in plastic sleeves and binders for him, he really enjoys them so that's good enough for me as it's something else enjoyable we can share together.

Lee
petethesweet

Post by petethesweet »

Hi Lee, I was a big coin collector in the 50s & 60s I had all of the Whitman folders, i used to go round all of the junk shops & swap sweets for coins at school. In 1958 i was a Saturday boy on the market working on a sweet stall. I used to collect all the pre 1920 silver coins. At a young age of 8 i would only want the mint coins, if they were scratched or dented they were of no use to me, sadly my mate used to melt them down for the silver. I only got rid of them a few years ago Pete.
fixer

Post by fixer »

Lee@kai76 wrote:Hi Pete

I am also obsessed with collecting coins, mainly pre 1920 British Silver and also modern stuff If I like the look of them, and now here's one for you all... My little lad is obsessed with pokemon cards so I have had to learn about them all which hasn't been easy plus very strange for me :lol: I have placed them all in plastic sleeves and binders for him, he really enjoys them so that's good enough for me as it's something else enjoyable we can share together.

Lee
my son (27 now) still has lots of first issue pokemon cards most in sleves and from memory a lot of foil/shiney ones, I belive some are quite expensive but couldn't tell which .....who'd think kids toys would be collectable
he also has loads of micro machines along with the various carry case play sets
I'm just happy with diecast
reg
Teals1

Post by Teals1 »

Hello all from New Zealand,
I also have collected coins. As we have travelled a lot overseas, I would try to collect a set of coin currency in circulation at that time. Have some very old (1800s) NZ pennies (before decimal currency was introduced). I also have an extensive Thematic collection of Stamps featuring aircraft. Have entered some stamp competitions and enjoyed this hobby.
petethesweet

Post by petethesweet »

Hi all, some of the things i have collected, Army Bayonets, army hats & caps, buttons, ginger bottles, poison bottles, stamps, cigarette gum cards, 45 singles, if it didn't move years ago i would collect it Pete.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I collect postcards of the village in Rutland where I used to live. (You would not believe how many different ones there are for what is still a very small community.)
I’m not sure that buying books for my wide-ranging interests counts as collecting, but I estimate that my library currently totals somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 volumes.
petethesweet

Post by petethesweet »

Hi Hugh, I had a big collection of post cards some dating back to 1914 & some of the saucy seaside post cards. Sadly they all went about 20 years ago Pete.