Wheel sizes

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
SupraBob

Wheel sizes

Post by SupraBob »

I recently acquired a 15c Dennis Tippax Refuse Collector that is missing most of it's paint. It is complete other wise. I am leaning toward restoring it as it is in such bad shape, and I already have the proper blue paint as I just restored my 25a Commer "Dunlop" Van that had been steped on at some point. Anyway, I was reading about the 15c on the 1-75 site, and it was stated that you could find it with 10x24, 11x45, or 10x36 wheels. The example that I have has plastic wheels that are 10 mm in diameter. But what is that second number?

Thanks, Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Re: Wheel sizes

Post by Idris »

The wheel codes are a shorthand notation giving both the diameter in mm (the first no.) and the tread count (the second no.) So 10x24 wheels are 10 mm in diameter with 24 treads around the circumference.
SupraBob

Post by SupraBob »

Thanks! Now all I have to do is find my magnifying glass and try to count those treads........
Squid

Post by Squid »

SupraBob wrote:Now all I have to do is find my magnifying glass and try to count those treads........
You shouldn't need a magnifying glass. 10x36 tread is much finer than 10x24. If you compare the wheels on your 15C to photos of both types, what you have should be quite obvious.