47b ice cream van with GPW

Is it genuine or is it fake?
DrJeep

47b ice cream van with GPW

Post by DrJeep »

As these seem to be one of the fakers' favourites, I thought I'd seek your views on this 47b Commer ice cream van. It was a very cheap purchase in a group with a very worn Tippax refuse lorry and a reasonable Foden sugar lorry, from a seller in Gloucestershire who doesn't seem to have been buying from the Netherlands!

As you can see, it's quite worn.
IMG_7101.jpg
IMG_7101.jpg (259.05 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
IMG_7102.jpg
IMG_7102.jpg (349.78 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
The front axle end looks good - a definite dimple.
front axle
front axle
IMG_7104.jpg (196.69 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
The back axle end doesn't have the dimple but does have a flat spot.
back axle
back axle
IMG_7105.jpg (226.74 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
And here are some more views of the axles.
IMG_7100.jpg
IMG_7100.jpg (470.29 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
IMG_7099.jpg
IMG_7099.jpg (375.18 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
And the base
base
base
IMG_7103.jpg (264.16 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
The bad signs are:

- the base is bent - you can see this from the side, with the front looking a little high, so it could have been taken off
- the front axle is bent
- both axles are very clean, but on the other hand the base has definitely been cleaned with the axles in place
- the interior is suspiciously dust-free

The good signs are:

- the ends of the axles look good to me
- the axle webs haven't been drilled
- the holes in the wheels look normal and there's no damage to the wheels
- the whole vehicle is quite clean, so perhaps the dust-free interior is just because someone washed it out before selling
- the seller doesn't have any other rare matchbox
- at £4.99 plus postage for all three, it was too cheap for a faker to make any money on.

Anyway, I'd be happy to hear your views.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: 47b ice cream van with GPW

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Given the points and pictures I am happy the wheel to axle marriage is good. The wheels and axles to baseplate is good. The baseplate to body marriage is the problem. Had the base not been bent and the interior was dusty/dirty (as the outside playware suggests it should be), it would be a winner so for me I think it is a replacement base regardless of the model's source before you got it.

If someone is going to experiment with a base swap, try one which does not have rivets but a tight fitting clip/tabs method!!

Ghosthunter.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I agree that the axles/wheels/base look ok. The base is in better condition compared to the body and a base like that could pop onto quite a decent body and make a good looking model quite easily and that's what someone would do to inflate the value or add a displayable model to their collection. Could it be someone making some running repairs and just marrying together parts from different models to complete one?
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Great model and the axle ends look perfect, very nice find indeed.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

nearlymint wrote:Great model and the axle ends look perfect, very nice find indeed.
J
Thanks, Jason. I was very surprised to see it and that no-one else had noticed it - the main photograph didn't show the wheels very clearly but there was a very good base picture included.
johnboy wrote:The base is in better condition compared to the body and a base like that could pop onto quite a decent body and make a good looking model quite easily and that's what someone would do to inflate the value or add a displayable model to their collection. Could it be someone making some running repairs and just marrying together parts from different models to complete one?
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The baseplate to body marriage is the problem. Had the base not been bent and the interior was dusty/dirty (as the outside playware suggests it should be), it would be a winner so for me I think it is a replacement base regardless of the model's source before you got it.
I must admit I hadn't thought about whether it might be a base swap - though the very clean interior might suggest it's been apart. The bend in the base is only slight, and I wonder why someone would swap a good grey-wheeled base to such a poor body - what could the donor have looked like?

Is the wear in the body inconsistent with the wear on the base? I seem to have accumulated rather a lot of these ice cream vans, so I've checked my collection. I've got a few with very worn bases, but also a couple with worn bodies but relatively unworn bases. These illustrate it well:
worn bodies
worn bodies
IMG_7106.jpg (209.42 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
good bases
good bases
IMG_7107.jpg (172.46 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
Both of these have thick paint which seems to chip more easily. The one on the left has the shorter man without legs, and he seems to have a firmer grip on the ice cream!

I don't think I can rule out the idea that this has had a base swap, but I'm happy that the base and wheels are good. My feeling is that it's probably the original body, but I don't suppose I'll ever know.
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Looking at those photos Glenn, it may well be an original pairing, either way it's a nice keeper.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Two different types of man ? (high arm low arm?)
Gary
yellowfoden

Post by yellowfoden »

Hi Glenn,
I got out a couple of mine that have the perfect provenance with very similar characteristics and I do not think there has been any swapping. I also think it has probably been given a clean while intact to get rid of dirt or insects. I think if you were going to take it apart to clean you would give the inside windows a clean as well but these still look grubby. I can't see from the photo where it is bent but accidental stepping on it might also explain the slightly bent axle. For me the most important thing is the axle ends and wheels which look very good. Axle ends of this period were some of the best of the riveted or rounded type. I still prefer the crimped but very closely followed by late 50's early 60's riveted type.
I remember reading that a reason for going away from crimped axles to riveted was for safety reasons and while this is plausible for early 60's axle ends the later ones especially some found on 1968/69 models are by no means safe.
I tried to take a couple of pics of my 47's to show nice bases but worn bodies but can not get a crisp image, will try again with different camera tomorrow.
Out of interest what code have you put against this going by Nick's codes? Gary has noted the fact that the ice cream must be very heavy. :)
The photos above show excellent detail, great reference.

Bert
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

ClOwY wrote:Two different types of man ? (high arm low arm?)
Hi Gary

There are at least three different interior mouldings: short man, tall man with brace behind driver's seat, tall man with brace behind passenger seat. There might also be a very short man. The short man has no legs (and really should clean out that van!):
short man
short man
IMG_7114.jpg (332.92 KiB) Viewed 6398 times
The tall man has legs:
tall man
tall man
IMG_7115.jpg (303.93 KiB) Viewed 6398 times
There are also three different interior colours: tan, off-white, white. I think the tan is only on the early metallic blue models. I'm not sure whether the off white is in the non-metallic blue model too. Did I mention that I have a lot of these?
interior colours
interior colours
IMG_7113 (2).jpg (153.93 KiB) Viewed 6398 times
yellowfoden wrote:I got out a couple of mine that have the perfect provenance with very similar characteristics and I do not think there has been any swapping. I also think it has probably been given a clean while intact to get rid of dirt or insects. I think if you were going to take it apart to clean you would give the inside windows a clean as well but these still look grubby. I can't see from the photo where it is bent but accidental stepping on it might also explain the slightly bent axle. For me the most important thing is the axle ends and wheels which look very good.
thanks for looking at yours, Bert. The windows are pretty dirty and definitely haven't been out of the model. I think it was a good find!
yellowfoden wrote:Out of interest what code have you put against this going by Nick's codes?
The GPW model is code 14: grey wheels, snap-in base short roof stripes, short side stripes, tall man, brace behind driver's seat. The short man model seems to be unlisted: black 10x24 wheels, short roof decal, short side decal, short man, brace behind driver's seat. I can't see any reason why this version wouldn't exist. I think the short man interior is relatively unusual - if there were three interiors, you'd expect to see the short man in 1/3 of models. I have 12 of these and only one short man.