Unlisted 56c BMC Pininfarina (not!)

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

Unlisted 56c BMC Pininfarina (not!)

Post by Idris »

In spite of my best efforts not to collect Superfast, i couldn't pass up on this one: a 56c BMC with black interior:
56c-1(s).jpg
56c-1(s).jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
56c-5(s).jpg
56c-5(s).jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
As far as I can see, the black interior on this model is otherwise only known from an unpressed, unpainted example shown on Christian's catalogue page. The baseplate rivet isn't brilliant, but I'm satisfied that it's factory spun. Interestingly, there is no paint residue in the rivet well.
The wheels are treaded and solid (as you would expect), and numbered 320, 21, 28H, and 1 (yes, really!). I also suspect that it is a slightly darker gold than normal but, embarrassingly, cannot lay my hands on a standard example to compare it with.
It is worth noting that all three of the first wave of new Superfast models were trialled with black interiors (the SF5e is known from the first-type box art, the SF20d Lamborghini from at least one pre-production example, and now the SF56c from two separate examples).
DrJeep

Re: Unlisted 56c BMC Pininfarina

Post by DrJeep »

not my area either, but I think that the ends of both front and back bumpers look longer and more pointed than on either of my two. With Christian's help, I established that there are two different bases, most readily distinguished by the length of the exhaust pipes. Yours has the longer pipes, I think, which would make it like the left BMC here, but I think with more extended bumpers. What a great find!
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Non prefix or suffix wheel numbers are 1969, 'H' is 1970.

Is the seat moulding painted black or moulded black as it seems that the original colour can be seen through the wheel apertures and highlighted with yellow arrows on my detail image below.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:Is the seat moulding painted black or moulded black as it seems that the original colour can be seen through the wheel apertures and highlighted with yellow arrows on my detail image below.

Ghosthunter.
Well spotted! I'll have a closer look!
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Well, Ghosty's correct. It is indeed a painted white interior, which puts the baseplate rivet in a different perspective.
It's odd that the interior is all black with no detailing, and it's also odd that it was sold at no premium.
I'll relegate it to the 'questionable models' shelf.
DrJeep

Post by DrJeep »

Do check the casting carefully before you relegate it to that questionable models shelf. It’s obviously not the prepro base without “Superfast” but it could still be early. Is it possible that a colour trial could have a painted interior?
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

I'll report back once I've found my standard gold example!