AJR's Customs

Any brand, any year, show us your projects.
AJR

AJR's Customs

Post by AJR »

Having a spare and very tatty MB47 DAF tipper, I figured it was worth nothing and so set about it with some sharp tools.
First it was dismantled and stripped of paint (as if it needed much stripping) then the rear axle and mudguards cut off as near as to need not a lot of filing or cleaning up.
The main part of the DAF then becomes an artic tractor unit using a suitable washer as a turntable. Now to find a trailer.
I had a rather tatty Marx twin axle trailer without wheels and so after removing the axle hangers, the rear axle lopped off the DAF fits nicely with a little Syroflex glue ... the vertical tipper spike fits nicely into a hole already in the trailer floor to locate it (lower photo).
Here is the outfit prior to painting .... I've painted the DAF twice before but the colours didn't look right. The cab only seems to suit light colours.
I fancy leaving the trailer as it is with the Marx decals but painting its chassis in satin black (rather than the grey that it was).
IMG_3638s.jpg
IMG_3638s.jpg (158.72 KiB) Viewed 10935 times
IMG_3639s.jpg
IMG_3639s.jpg (187.05 KiB) Viewed 10934 times
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: AJR's Customs

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

That has gone together really well. I agree on the painting of the trailer chassis to Black. New it would have been in a Satin Black but years of use and neglect they tend end up looking Matt Black from grime and general dirtiness.

Leaving the container 'As Is' is good as it has a nice amount of play ware and who knows, there may well have been a real Marx Trucking company so it all fits in nicely.

Ghosthunter.
diecastfan

Post by diecastfan »

Turned out really AJ I agree with the colour your painting the trailer chassis looking forward to seeing the cab painted.
Kev

Happy collecting..
AJR

Post by AJR »

Thank you Ghosthunter. The trailer base was light grey before I stripped it (and that part was mint until I chopped the axle hangers off :cry: ). There were no doors at the rear or any signs of there ever having been any so I might make up a non working roller shutter to fit internally. The original tipper back is now crying out for attaching to something else.
AJR

Post by AJR »

diecastfan wrote:Turned out really AJ I agree with the colour your painting the trailer chassis looking forward to seeing the cab painted.

You know, the cab looks great unpainted and although the original silver paint was chipped and rubbed, it was hardly noticeable.
I've painted it twice in dark colours and the results didn't suit it. I have some light metallic greens and blues but wanted to shy away from the King Size colours although I'll probably end up doing it in original DAF car transporter blue.
I also want to put a diff and propshaft on the rear axle because the lack of one is really noticeable through the open chassis. Overkill, I know.
AJR

Post by AJR »

More by accident than design, the ribs on the trailer sort of hark back to the original tipper body.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

AJR wrote: I also want to put a diff and propshaft on the rear axle because the lack of one is really noticeable through the open chassis. Overkill, I know.
You are now getting into my area of modelling...overkill, far from it, go ahead and you might even be tempted to put mirrors on the cab and a nice flexible radio ariel on the roof!

Ghosthunter.

P,S, don't forget the Suzies!
AJR

Post by AJR »

You are now getting into my area of modelling...overkill, far from it, go ahead and you might even be tempted to put mirrors on the cab and a nice flexible radio ariel on the roof!

Ghosthunter.

P,S, don't forget the Suzies!

Apart from the Marx trailer, I'd like to keep it Matchboxy if there is such a word. The diff idea really came to me because the rear (previously centre) axle holes are elongated to allow for uneven ground but now on its own, it sags a little at the rear (a single sided sticky bud would sort it and add suspension but would look a bit Heath-Robinson. I might be able to find an old Matchbox transverse spring to slip in there.
Anyway, pics below of the steel washer turntable and nylon spacer to clear the mudguards ... and the underneath where the hollow pivot will accept a glued rivet or self tapper to keep the trailer semi permanent. This conversion has really just fallen together with hardly any work ... even the trailer chassis clears the rear of the DAF without any filing.
IMG_3640s.jpg
IMG_3640s.jpg (147.37 KiB) Viewed 10917 times

IMG_3641s.jpg
IMG_3641s.jpg (166.23 KiB) Viewed 10917 times
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Great Idea - I like it.
I´ll have to look for a beater on the next fleamarket.
matchboxtom

Post by matchboxtom »

Neat one