glue

Restoration how to's
ClOwY

glue

Post by ClOwY »

Hi , just got MG1c 1986 BP which needs some TLC.
How can i remove old glue(which has now turned brown from plastic parts
thanks in advance.
Gary
Tinman

Re: glue

Post by Tinman »

Try soaking in water overnight. If that doesn't work try alcohol over night. If that doesn't work then you probably have to live with it as stronger solvents will probably damage plastic wheels/tires/hubs and paint as well.

Edit, never mind. I just reread the post and notice it's the plastic garage. There is nothing you can do about the glue discoloration (except to restore the model by repainting it).
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

I agree with Joe about the glue damage on plastic parts as you have found on that garage. I imagine the part or parts you are concerned about are where the larger panels have been glued together to form the actual garage building itself.

No disrespect is intended here to any of our clever model restores, but a restoration method on that garage to remove old discoloured glue is beyond the avarage hobbyist as it requires Hours of scraping and polishing to remove the glue and try and put back some kind of finish to the surface of the plastic to match the original and this would be a long process on parts easy to work on let alone on parts put together to create a finished building. If it were the only model garage of it's kind in the World, it would be worth having it done (and I would offer to do it for you after an assesment with pictures of the areas with the discoloured glue), but the cost of this work would be high!

Ghosthunter.
ClOwY

Post by ClOwY »

Its the small shed where the pumps are. At least ive got one untill a better one comes my way :D
Thanks for your anwers
Gary