Cleaning/removing paint off of model...

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
grifterkid

Cleaning/removing paint off of model...

Post by grifterkid »

Hello to you all...

We have all seen them, those models that have had an over-zealous repaint by an over excited youth! We know what lies beneath can't be too bad but on top things are not great to say the least...!!!

I have a lovely little Lesney D-Type that looks to have been (very neatly!) painted over in black and that's not good at all.

Is there a way to remove paint from paint as it were...?!

If you could let me know that would be great as I'd love to remove this layer of woe from this little model.

Thank to you all in advance...
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Cleaning/removing paint off of model...

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

This is a subject we have covered before on the forum and I dare say we will cover it again in the future. We have a really good restoration section with a very active band of members who have restored models and I am sure there will be some tips within their threads...
here viewforum.php?f=18
and here...viewforum.php?f=19

What needs to be established is what type of paint has been used and from past experience it is very likely to be model paint which can be enamel or acrylic based. If it were cellulose based (from spray cans for real cars), it would most likely have reacted with the original Lesney factory paint and would show signs of a crazing pattern.

Does the paint surface have a high gloss, satin or matt finish.

Ghosthunter.
grifterkid

Post by grifterkid »

The 'paint' is relatively glossy and has been applied very thinly and very smoothly...

It can be picked of in tiny bits but not very easily!!!

I just wondered if a warm soapy water soak would do the job?! I doubt it of course but I am loathe to try anything stronger yet...
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

If it is peelable in small amounts it could be worth warming up the paint to see if larger portions will peel off, so warm/hot water may be fine or try the dry method of a hair drier. The orginal Lesney paint was usually baked on the models so is quite resiliant, but just keep an Eye on it during the warming process. You can try presing a finger nail into the original paint when warm/hot to see if it is becoming soft (something we want the unwanted paint to do!), and stop if it is.

Ghosthunter.
Lee@kai76

Post by Lee@kai76 »

I've got a few like this too and have been wondering the same thing, going to have a go at them when I get some spare time and if it's not doable I will just strip them totally and have a go at doing something with them myself.
motorman

Post by motorman »

Might be worth experimenting with an old beater that has been painted over.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
grifterkid

Post by grifterkid »

Thanks for all your help and advice...

It does seem that a soapy hot water soak (that sounds slightly ominous!) has done the job. I will have to work at the layer of rogue paint with a soft tooth brush so as to minimise the continued damage of the original paint underneath but I think it's going to turn out ok in the end!

Thanks again.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It would have been nice for a before and after pair of pictures, but never mind, there will be others... :D

Ghosthunter.
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Heres a little project I have done today-[Sunday] A Dinky fire engine with a coat of Acrilic primer and a nice Cherry red finish done last year to sell .Unfortunately I messed it up so put it aside..Last week I got a Lesney Prime mover that someone had give it a custom paint job....So today a little experiment in Standard thinners dipping...Here are some pictures for your delight....
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Right, nobody leaves this forum until Misterpop's pictures have been returned...

Ghosty.