18b and tread replacement. No longer Code 1?

Is it genuine or is it fake?
micullee

18b and tread replacement. No longer Code 1?

Post by micullee »

It seems I spend all my little bit of forum time on this board.

My question is concerning the 18b I have with what appears to be replacement treads. I just finished reading Tinmans method of cutting and gluing, so I used my 10x loupe to search for a cut. There is no evidence of a cut. Could these treads be 55 years old? (Didn't think so). If the treads have been replaced using the only other method, have I lost value? How would you list it on ebay?

If you have time, please look at the photos and give me your opinion.

Thank you,
Michael E
Attachments
IMG_4156.jpg
IMG_4156.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 6469 times
IMG_4167.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 6469 times
IMG_4164.jpg
IMG_4164.jpg (891.25 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
Tinman

Re: 18b and tread replacement. No longer Code 1?

Post by Tinman »

The axle looks pretty good and probably hasn't been tampered with. The replacement treads that are currently vaailable for 1-75 models are somewhat too small and pretty tight. As a result, I can no longer get the cut and glue method to work using one tread. I now have to use two treads (and two glue joints) per side. At the cost of replacement treads, that's to expensive.

So I've joined the ranks of people who remove the front axle to replace dozer treads. Since I'm not worried about "value" and my only worry is having the model look nice and be complete ... it's the way I do all my dozers now. I bought some replacement axles made from soft steel and it's easy to redo the crimp. The ones with a spun rivited end I simply leave alone (the model will not fall apart when handled as the tread holds tension on everything, you don't notice the unspun end when it's on display).
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
micullee

Post by micullee »

Thank you Tinman for your response.
I suppose the use of the word "value" is as it relates to whether or not I can sell it on ebay. I don't sell any models that are not Code 1. Since I'm selling my complete collection any modified, repainted, etc., models are of no value to me.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Models with original treads that are soft, pliable and not cracked are getting scarce. Models with replacement treads have plenty of value to many, many collectors. I see no reason not to sell models that have treads replaced as long as you mention that fact. Some early replacement treads are difficult to spot (now that they've aged a bit) and models where such treads slip right on may already be in your collection. Regardless, replacement treads are more common than soft pliable original treads (especially on the oldest regular wheel models).

The number of replacement treads sold per year is in the thousands. Even I have trouble spotting some fifteen year old (or older) decent quality replacement treads. As time goes by, replacement treads become another reality for those who want complete models and they already have very wide acceptance in the hobby.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Tinman wrote:The axle looks pretty good and probably hasn't been tampered with.
My thoughts exactly Joe, Nice dozer Michael, The 18b is quite hard to find.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
micullee

Post by micullee »

Tinman, thank you for expounding on the subject. After reading, I relaxed my focus on the treads and went back to looking at the model as a whole. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Nick, of course I always value your opinion.

This forum has more value than any amount of money!
A-Man-Called-Bwian

Post by A-Man-Called-Bwian »

After so many years, almost all original tracks are going to have had some time deterioration so the choice is leave the originals on to deteriorate more and look old. This might detract from the aesthetics of a mint model so my opinion from that point of view is that new tracks don’t “de-track” from the value. Monetary value, I couldn’t care less. Any new tracks I get, I muddy them up and put little nicks and damage on them anyway.
All my collection is absolutely mint, sage and onion condition