#45 Emerald green Ford group 6

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
tjlglass

#45 Emerald green Ford group 6

Post by tjlglass »

I recently got a couple of playworn pre pros from a boot sale where the lady told me her dad used to work at the factory, anyway she was back at the booty this morning and had this little beauty, I asked her about the glass and label and to her knowledge that's how it's always been and her dad would take home many cars with missing parts etc for the kids to play with. Thoughts please ?
Attachments
IMG_3447.jpg
IMG_3447.jpg (219.87 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
IMG_3448.jpg
IMG_3448.jpg (293.05 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
fixer

Re: #45 Emerald green Ford group 6

Post by fixer »

label was probably just grabbed of production to give it a race car look, more interesting is the narrow wheels
reg
motorman

Post by motorman »

Very nice Tim and Reg is right it is even more difficult to find the emerald green group 6 with the thin wheels. I recon the label was a later addition which is very similar to the label found on the #19Lotus and the #64 Slingshot Dragster. The extensive wear suggests this was a much loved and played with toy and the glass may be missing as a result, perhaps the label was added by that child to make his toy more racier looking. Love it!!!

Hugh has a lovely example of this thin wheel group 6 variation.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Great find Tim, nice to see these narrow wheels on this model.J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
tjlglass

Post by tjlglass »

Not so sure the label was added after and these were in production in 1969 towards the latter end of the reg Wheels 19d Lotus run. I think it was added as a tester to see how it looked.
motorman

Post by motorman »

tjlglass wrote:Not so sure the label was added after and these were in production in 1969 towards the latter end of the reg Wheels 19d Lotus run. I think it was added as a tester to see how it looked.
Very possible Tim.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
zBret

Post by zBret »

Great find with and interesting background story as well, congrats !Image
zBret
Brad Pittiful

Post by Brad Pittiful »

thats a sweet find Tim...congrats!
Please use a web hosting site (like photobucket) to store pictures so you can post them here, using attachments makes it hard to view the pictures when you have to scroll to see them. Seeing comparisons of models is hard to see with attachments too.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I agree with Al that the 3 label looks like the one from the 19a Lotus issued in 1970. It could therefore follow that this model Tim has was trialled in 1969-1970 with the same label to see what it would look like before finally having the round 7 label in the new metallic green colour.

Also following the same thinking the stripe could have been an early attempt at seeing what the G3 Superfast Racing set stickers would look like on a model, I could be way off the mark but certainly the model colour/round 3 label/stripe would all tie up together with the subsequent G3 set from 1970.