Cosmic Blues window variation

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
David Tilley

Cosmic Blues window variation

Post by David Tilley »

I recently discovered that I never picked up the blue 1988-1992 US exclusive variation of the Cosmic Blues in blue. I am slowly sorting out my collection properly and am finding quite a few gaps as I go along. I saw there was an opportunity to pick up both the chrome exhaust/grill and black exhaust/grill version in one go.
So there they were, both major variations in one swoop and I didn't have to worry about them anymore. But as I sit there catalogging the collection I discover that they have a window variation.
You may notice from the first pic that the lighter window is on the later black exhaust/grill variant. I have seen no signs of this being noted before. I have had a careful look and do not see any signs of fading anywhere. It does seem uniform all over. Now I need to hunt down a darker blue window on this one, and am curious if I will be able to find a lighter version of the chrome example.

:) :D :P
ChFalkensteiner

Re: Cosmic Blues window variation

Post by ChFalkensteiner »

Thanks for pointing this out. Both of my blue examples have the darker blue windows. The lighter blue window variation is therefore new to me.

Besides I have noticed that the two white models with Macau bases in my collection have lighter blue windows; on all models with China and Thailand bases the windows are the same darker shade of blue.