17e AEC Horsebox

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

17e AEC Horsebox

Post by Idris »

None of the NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition), the AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983), Stannard, Houghton, or Leake ("Concise Catalogue of 75 Series Matchbox Toys by Lesney" (4th edition, reprinted 2006)) lists any variation not already catalogued by Nick.
U.K. Matchbox did not examine the model.
Diecast

Re: 17e AEC Horsebox

Post by Diecast »

One unlisted variation with the solid handle.
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN4899.JPG
DSCN4899.JPG (64.04 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

I am posting some information via a fellow collector relating to this model, 17e AEC Horsebox:
I hope you find it interesting.
Bill

Matchbox number 17 Horse Box replaced No. 17 Hoveringham in 1969. Similar to its predecessor its appearance has remained relatively the same, however, there were a few modifications to both the body and the base of this casting that has been covered in the majority of Matchbox catalogs.

No. 17E Preproduction Model
There is a preproduction version of this castings that has the same color ramp/door as the rest of the box, and solid ramp handle different from others that are gray color and have grooved ramp handle. In addition the base for the preproduction model does not have tow slot.

Base Comparison for No. 17E’s
And, here is a picture showing the base comparison. The preproduction model is the one in the middle, and as it can be seen, the base does not have tow slot. I wonder if there are some standard models without the tow slot out there to be found.
Last edited by durangokid on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DurangoKid
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Hi Bill,
Very interesting models, does the middle model have an unpressed base?
Also would have expected to see flat base braces and not sloping braces on that one with the no tow guide base. Very nice to see the green door as well not one I have seen before.
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
fixer

Post by fixer »

regarding the lack of tow slot on the prepro are these the same base /grill components used on the other ergomatic cabs as some of those don't have slots , so would that make it a feature of the prepro or am I having a senior moment
reg
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

The base could have been an early "Spare" off the shelves in the R&D dept. rather than a current style off the assembly line which might require a long walk to obtain. What an interesting question as to the use of the metal base with the added sloping braces on this very unique model. Another unexplained Lesney oddity with TWO seemingly out of timeline components being found on a single model (So Far!!).
Thinking out loud, if it was a leftover bin of early bases that were used on this earliest Horsebox release for distributors to preview, photograph, and take orders for, there might be a possibility that some early standard releases could be found with that base without tow slot and with the standard coloured doors on them. Bill's base picture leads me to wonder whether Antonin's model has a Tow Slot, unlike this very odd and possibly unique example using a plastic base that had been discontinued perhaps a year or 2 before this 17E hit the stores for sale. Thanks for adding the pictures of both these odd Horsebox models Bill and Antonin. I have never seen or heard of either variants, so perhaps others will now be found by other Forum members now that we have seen yours. Kwakers
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nearlymint wrote:Also would have expected to see flat base braces and not sloping braces on that one with the no tow guide base.
I've just checked my green-doored example: same details of no tow guide and sloping braces.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Idris wrote:
nearlymint wrote:Also would have expected to see flat base braces and not sloping braces on that one with the no tow guide base.
I've just checked my green-doored example: same details of no tow guide and sloping braces.
Is your one also unpressed? J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

nearlymint wrote:
Idris wrote:
Here are a couple more photos of the base -- hope it helps..........
Bill

DurangoKid
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nearlymint wrote:
Idris wrote:
Nope! Fully spun rivet. (I would post a photograph, but the camera fairy is cramming for his A-level mocks and is therefore currently unavailable. :D )