Anomalous Trim Colour

All regular wheel 1-75 or miniatures topics
Idris
Site Admin

Anomalous Trim Colour

Post by Idris »

One of the things which I like to look out for is models with silver instead of gold trim and vice versa.
In this context, I thought it might be useful to put together a list of my observations. Hopefully other members will be able to add to it and confirm the existence of more than one example of certain models. Please note that acknowledged variations (such as 5b, 14b, 17a, 19b, 20a, and 21a with gold trim) have not been included.

Gold instead of silver:
9c: I have an example with what appears to be gold trim. However, this is only true when the grille is viewed obliquely and I therefore suspect that the effect is caused by tarnishing. The model is variation code 11 (10 x 24 BPW, D/H, r/a, 17 rung gold ladder, no hoses cast).
15a: I saw what appeared to be a gold-trimmed example on Ebay, but the photographs were rather poor and I wasn’t convinced. (It might have been mixed silver and gold paint, or even simply dirt.) It was also rather expensive and in Australia with high postal charges. For the record, this was either a variation code 3 or 4 (with ejector ring, MW, c/a).
21b: I own two of these, but they are different variation codes! However, to me it seems likely that they represent a single batch of bodies which were trimmed in the wrong colour
32a: Two examples known to me. It is unclear whether they are exactly the same variation and, if so, which one.
35a: According to Nick’s catalogue, this is rumoured to exist. I have never seen one, but I have found (and mislaid!) an example with mixed gold/silver trim paint.
45a: Only a single example known to me and shown in a thread on this Forum whilst still on Lefora). Variation code unknown.
47a: Only a single example known to me. Shown on this Forum whilst still on Lefora and subsequently quietly sold on Ebay. Known to be GPW with trim to headlights only. Unknown whether c/a or r/a.
58a: One example shown on this Forum and a second example confirmed as being in another Member’s collection. Matches Nick’s variation code 1.
60a: Three examples known to me covering at least two different variation codes (one with 9 x 20 GPW and the other with 9 x 24 SPW). On this occasion, there are at least two different body shades involved, implying more than one run with gold trim.
73a: Only a single example known to me and shown in a thread on this Forum (possibly whilst still Lefora). Trim to grille and front bumper only. Variation code unknown.

Silver instead of gold:
6a: Both Dick (Kwakers) and I have an example of this which, being the first casting and Nick’s variation code 1, may be the very first issue

I would suggest that of the above, the 6a and 58a variations have been proven and should be added to the variation tables. The 32a might also qualify for inclusion, but it needs to be demonstrated that the two examples are the same variation code.
matchbox_n_molars

Re: Anomalous Trim Colour

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

I tend to be somewhat crazed in watching for these trim paint oddities as well Hugh. Not only have I not found anything outside of your list but I haven't found anything other than the more established list of know trim variants to watch for. Are you considering the 57a Wolseley as one on the accepted or established list of models that occasionally shows up with gold trim?
Greg in Cincinnati
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Yes, I would lump the 57a with gold trim in with the acknowledged/recognised/catalogued variations.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Gold trim on a 57a Wolseley 1500 is a new one to me. I have only seen it with a mixture of silver and gold paint.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

[quote="nickjones"]Gold trim on a 57a Wolseley 1500 is a new one to me. I have only seen it with a mixture of silver and gold paint.[/quote]

Thinks [Drat only just in the post and a rewrite is on the cards]] ha ha ha... :lol: :lol:
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

[quote="nickjones"]Gold trim on a 57a Wolseley 1500 is a new one to me. I have only seen it with a mixture of silver and gold paint.[/quote]

[url=http://www.vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk/1index/xx57a.htm]Your variation codes 1 and 2[/url] are both gold trim versions...
matchbox_n_molars

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

Can someone share with me how we know that some of the trim was done with a mix of silver and gold paint? Does that come from reports out of the factory from former employees or is it a simple observation among collectors that the gold is more intense on some models than others? I would agree that the gold trim on models like the 11a or 11b tankers or my 20a stake truck is a truer more intense gold than the trim on my 19B MGA or my 57a Wolseley.
Greg in Cincinnati
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

[quote="matchbox_n_molars"]Can someone share with me how we know that some of the trim was done with a mix of silver and gold paint?[/quote]

I suspect that mixed silver/gold trim is the result of either silver paint being added to a pot which previously contained gold paint, or vice versa. Either way, the two paints don't seem to have mixed very well with the result that the trim on such models can clearly be seen to be a mix of both silver and gold, i.e. two distinct, separate colours rather than a goldy-silver or a silvery-gold...
misterpop

Post by misterpop »

Idris wrote:
matchbox_n_molars wrote:Can someone share with me how we know that some of the trim was done with a mix of silver and gold paint?
I suspect that mixed silver/gold trim is the result of either silver paint being added to a pot which previously contained gold paint, or vice versa. Either way, the two paints don't seem to have mixed very well with the result that the trim on such models can clearly be seen to be a mix of both silver and gold, i.e. two distinct, separate colours rather than a goldy-silver or a silvery-gold.

Probably could'nt find a stick to stir the pot.... :P
Heres the man with the bargains.Always open to offers from this sites members..http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/misterpop/m.h ... m=&_ipg=25
mbox2000

Post by mbox2000 »

:lol: :lol:
Mbox2000 / Jay