20c Chevrolet Impala Taxi

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

20c Chevrolet Impala Taxi

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) lists three distinct body colours: yellow, yellow-orange, and bright canary yellow. The yellow covers the first three of Nick's variation codes. (I can't see this colour difference in my models, can anyone else?) The labels are listed in six different colours/shades: pale yellow, yellow, dark yellow, light orange, orange, and dark orange. There are two interesting variations listed which are not covered by Nick: 20-3N is bright canary yellow body, red interior, decal, whilst 20-3O is bright canary yellow body, red interior, white label with light and dark red letters. Both of these would correspond to either Nick's variation code 14 or 15, although neither seems particularly likely as a genuine factory issue. Can any Member confirm either variant?
The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) lists bothg yellow and orange labels and, as is so often the case, has a useful note which reads"the background of the labels comes in orange, orange/yellow, all yellow etc., and make up a number of variations...".
Stannard does not list any variations not already recorded by Nick.
Houghton's listing mirrors Stannard's and Nick's, but he notes each labelled variation as being found with either a yellow or an orange-yellow label.
U.K. Matchbox did not examine the model.
kerbside

Re: 20c Chevrolet Impala Taxi

Post by kerbside »

Hello Hugh, here are six of my colour variation, as you can see in the photo there are four very different colours in the hand even the three lighter

Yellows are a different shade of Yellow.

George T.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kerbside wrote:Hello Hugh, here are six of my colour variation, as you can see in the photo there are four very different colours in the hand even the three lighter yellows are a different shade of Yellow.
Thanks, George. That's very clear indeed.
kusiki

Post by kusiki »

Hello all, first time poster from Australia. I've recently acquired a 20c chevrolet impala taxi with grey plastic wheels. I have some issues regarding authenticity.

Firstly it is yellow, not orange-yellow. It is a very light yellow as you will see up against my evening news van. But it also has a type 1 body from what I can tell. I can see no crosses or hatching inside the body. As VBD lists these all as orange-yellow I'm perplexed. I can see no evidence of repainting, but the front rivet does not look 100% untampered with. The back bumper area has some damage too. I'm just not sure what's going on here.

Hopefully some of you experts can shed some light for me. Thanks in advance. I have more photos if needed.

kusiki
Attachments
IMG_9309.JPG
IMG_9309.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 7120 times
IMG_9305.JPG
IMG_9305.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 7120 times
IMG_9310.JPG
IMG_9310.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 7120 times
IMG_9308.JPG
IMG_9308.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 7120 times
IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9314.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 7120 times
fixer

Post by fixer »

First welcome to our little group
My view is that this is a base swap probably the original body was damaged and it's been swapped for a suitable playworn one
I have resized your pictures to about 600 pixels for easier viewing,apologies if I mixed the order up
Attachments
file-8-640x480.jpg
file-8-640x480.jpg (61.37 KiB) Viewed 7120 times
file-7-640x480.jpg
file-7-640x480.jpg (61.3 KiB) Viewed 7120 times
file-6-640x480.jpg
file-6-640x480.jpg (50.84 KiB) Viewed 7120 times
file-9-640x480.jpg
file-9-640x480.jpg (73.48 KiB) Viewed 7120 times
reg
kusiki

Post by kusiki »

Thanks fixer. What do you suggest this means in terms of the value of my item now?
Cheers for reducing the pics. I wasn't sure how to do that. :)
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello kusiki, again welcome to the forum here is my GW model your one does appear a very light Yellow.

George T.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Welcome to the forum kusiki.

The disadvantage of posting images at their natural file size means it is difficult for forum members to view them without some jiggery-pokery to reduce the computer's screen size and they take longer to load, so thank's Reg for the resizing.

The advantage is that we can see certain details better because of the larger images and in this particular case the large picture has revealed some evidence of drilling marks around the rear rivet, which is pretty conclusive proof the original base has been removed and a replacement fitted.

The model now has no real Monetary value, only some intrinsic value as an example of what some owners will do to their models for reasons we have discussed elsewhere on the forum, to deceive prospective new owners into thinking they are getting a sought-after version.

By all means keep the model if it still interests you now that you have a clearer understanding of it's status.

Ghosthunter.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

There is one unlisted variation with the silver painted base plate and without towguide
Antonin
Attachments
DSCN4865.JPG
DSCN4865.JPG (18.05 KiB) Viewed 7050 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

fixer wrote:My view is that this is a base swap...
It might not even be that. We need to have a look at the axle ends first in order to determine whether those wheels were originally paired with that baseplate.