22a vauxhall Cresta

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

22a vauxhall Cresta

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) only has two variations: 22-1A with a cream top and 22-1B with an off-white top. The AIM's “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) agrees, but codes them as 22-1a and 22-1b. The situation wrt paint colours is best summed up in Houghton's notes which read as follows: 1) Lower body colour shades range from red to maroon, and 2) Roof colour shades range from off-white to cream.
Stannard does not list any variations not already recorded by Nick.
Houghton lists all his variations as being found both with and without the roof ejector ring (N.B. he does not catalogue the rear axle brace type). New variations are 22a-2 (f/h, c/a, with axle brace, without ejector ring), 22a-6 (d/h, c/a, with axle brace, without ejector ring), and 22a-8 (d/h, c/a, without axle brace, without ejector ring). In each case, the rear axle brace type needs to be determined in order to work out the correct position in Nick's variation table. Interestingly, Houghton sees a match between a smooth roof and no trim for all except his variation 22a-8. Can anyone confirm?
U.K. Matchbox examined the model in Vol. 7 no. 6 (Feb. '84) p209 but does not list any new variations.
nearlymint

Re: 22a vauxhall Cresta

Post by nearlymint »

Recently noted that all my early models without the roof ejector ring have a narrow rear casting(bumper), when looking inside through the windscreen this is quite apparent.
The later ones also seem to have a very small extension on the base but very hard to see, not sure where it is in the list yet as I will have to get my other ones together.
Early body
Early body
22a early casting.JPG (69.27 KiB) Viewed 4555 times
Later body
Later body
22a later casting.JPG (83.56 KiB) Viewed 4555 times
J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Jason, my Red 22a with the ejector ring has the front axel brace and the narrow bumper.

My two Maroon models have no ejector rings both have the wide bumper but no front axel brace.

George T.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

See also here.
nearlymint

Post by nearlymint »

Thanks Hugh, J
Nearlymint
Check my swaps page(rest has been under construction for years :))
https://sites.google.com/site/matchboxmagicgbbo00/home