What is it about theses model variations

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
Shane

What is it about theses model variations

Post by Shane »

I am primarily a 1/43 scale collector but I have several smaller models too. I have a lot of Lesney that are typically very popular as I tend to be drawn towards the ones that seem to have a place in many collections. I pick up the odd one simply because I like it !!!!! I have no understanding for variations, colours, editions, wheels, etc. When it comes to these smaller scales, I simply just like what I see and if the price is right, I will grab one from time to time. So, excuse my ignorance but I came across these on ebay and was wondering what is so special about these particular ones that they warranted very decent prices.....(all are from the same seller)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191877352620?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191882857444?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERFAST-SF-03 ... SwY0lXSIuc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REGULAR-WHLS-R- ... Swq5pXP1N-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shane, I hope you don't mind, but I have moved this posting into the 'Beginner's Corner' as I think it is a better place for it.

Ghosthunter.
Play with toys and be forever young!
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: What is about theses model variations

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Four hard to find models. The Two fuel tankers are market specific, I.E. originally issued to the Country where the brand is native. The Ford Mustang is a very short production run model in a colour chosen for the replacement 'Superfast' version, but as you can see, it is on the original 'Regular Wheel' version. The Ford Fairline has a base painted in a non-standard colour for the model for it's period of production.

The Two Fords could be classed as 'Transitional' models and collectors love to have them in collections as often they help to show the progress of a model's life time from it's first date of introduction up to when it is deleted from the range.

Ghosthunter.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The Two fuel tankers are market specific, I.E. originally issued to the Country where the brand is native.
No. Only the Aral tanker is a market specific release (West Germany). The red and white NAMC tanker is a promotional issue painted at the factory for a collectors club. The 32c Tanker was never issued in this livery (although Dr. Jazz managed to find what appeared to be a playworn example carrying normal production labels).
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The Ford Mustang is a very short production run model in a colour chosen for the replacement 'Superfast' version, but as you can see, it is on the original 'Regular Wheel' version.
Correct.
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The Ford Fairline has a base painted in a non-standard colour for the model for it's period of production.
No. The non-standard base colour for this particular variation is black. Yellow 31b Fords always command a premium (most were painted metallic green), and this is a particularly fine example.
GHOSTHUNTER wrote:The two Fords could be classed as 'Transitional' models
Only the Mustang is what would normally be classified as a Transitional, i.e. a model displaying elements of both the standard RW and the standard SF release.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Thank's Hugh, my formula for getting members to post has worked a treat, only post half truths.

Ghosthunter.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Wow. So much to know about variations. Obviously the bidders knew some stuff, hence the nice values :)
Play with toys and be forever young!
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

GHOSTHUNTER wrote:...only post half truths.
You should be canvassing for a Brexit! :D
motorman

Post by motorman »

Idris wrote:
Brilliant Hugh :lol:
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

motorman wrote:
Idris wrote:
Brilliant Hugh :lol:
Yes, if I knew what it meant I could say that was very clever... :D

Ghosty.
leonty24

Post by leonty24 »

Clue politics
BillF

Post by BillF »

Hi Shane,
Since I was high bidder on one of those and under bidder for the 8E :x I will chime in here. This is a fun hobby but can after a decade or more of collecting become expensive but thrilling as the hunt is part of it.Especially when like many collectors on here have examples of most of the basic models and start looking for the variations of them such as these. The 31b looked particularly nice and its one of the variations I need other than the one with black wheels which is rare as well and I trust this dealer as I have purchased from him historically. I lost the 8E to a dealer Steve Mullican who apparently needs another red mustang to add to the other 6 he has won from this dealer in the past.

As was said rare and harder to find variants can command a premium especially in mint or mint/boxed condition and if it Is a variation that does not come up for sale often. Another factor is being offered from a reputable dealer such as RWC as opposed to shady fakers such as ones who have been mentioned in the past. Especially since online versus in hand purchases can be difficult to determine if the model is legit.

Happy collecting!

Bill