Gathering Mini Pre Pro Gathering Dealer Models

Non UK made Matchbox toys 1983 on
jimgallegos

Gathering Mini Pre Pro Gathering Dealer Models

Post by jimgallegos »

Both of these are Pre Pros. Note the difference in colors as well as the un-plated bases. Production had a different shade of blue as well as a chrome plated base.

Jim G.Come join us at the 2019 Gathering in New Mexico. 19-21 July 2097. email me @ matchb0x1@aol.com for information
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Gathering Mini Pre Pro Gathering Dealer Models

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Interesting treatment of the rivets.

Ghosthunter.
Miller

Post by Miller »

Looks like they have been painted afterwards... ;)
Roland

Variations are bad for limited showcases
jimgallegos

Post by jimgallegos »

Miller wrote:Looks like they have been painted afterwards... ;)
That was my first thought but then after closer inspection, they were glued after being painted. What do others think?

Jim G.Come join us at the 2019 Gathering in New Mexico. 19-21 July 2097. email me @ matchb0x1@aol.com for information
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

It does seem that way, but as we know these models are really just for assessment of an overall look, the mechanics of the model would have been sorted out by this stage, but is interesting how they do secure bases differently and do not have both rivets painted the same, that is strange.

Ghosthunter.
fixer

Post by fixer »

the glue does look to be over the the paint
another thought i wonder how these will be viewed in say 20/30 years time by future collectors .....will they question their authenticity and suspect them as being by some new age faker like cuda-nik-carr the third :twisted: :twisted:
reg
ritchie

Post by ritchie »

IMHO, both cars look unriveted to me. it's often that paints sprayed over one rivet post (in this case the front post) but not the other. This explains the different color. Since unriveted, glue was used to avoid the baseplate came off. And the rivet post contained glues all over so the middle hole can't be see through and the glues make the post looked larger, foster the illusion of a rivet, but actually not.
Ritchie
jimgallegos

Post by jimgallegos »

I have documentation, many times from the designer for most of my pre pros. I would make sure to let the buyer know the history.

As for the Mini's: I was told that there are different scenarios on these type of models. Some are prepared in the factory and sent (usually about 5) to the design center for approval. Here is a little bit of detail received along with the models.
5th Convention Austin Minivan.
CHASSIS: Grey (Not VUM Silver)
Front End and Rear deco’s different from Production models
Body Paint on Samples is not as good as Production models

The prototype samples (Shown Below) have color variation bodies - There is an unexpected flaw in the paint used on these prototypes - notice the bubbling on the surface of the body. I think it was during this period that MBK and MDT both used inferior paints and with time, the bubbling and flaking (in the case of Hot Wheels Spectraflame paints) resulted.