Greetings from Canada

An area for less experienced collectors to ask questions and show their finds.
azsiros

Greetings from Canada

Post by azsiros »

Hello all, I have just recently joined this forum hoping to get more information on the Matchbox line from the 60's.
As probably most of you, when I was young my weekly reward was to buy a Matchbox toy from Sears here in Canada. These have all unfortunately disappeared but now in my early 60's, I've accumulated all 75 and some duplicates, Yesteryear models and Major packs. Most were bought from eBay and I'm now just documenting these in detail, trying to sort out the codes and years of the toys and boxes that I have along with the rarities. My goal is to have a complete line from the 1966 year. Using Vintage British Diecast and original catalogues as a reference I'm now realizing the boxes and codes that I need to give me the 1966 lineup.
One of if not my biggest issue is this - how do you tell if the boxes are reproduction?
A few that I bought were stated that they were repro boxes but some of the others that I bought are so perfect that I'm having my doubts as to whether these are repro or original.
What are the things to look for in determining if it's a repro box or not?

Are there any other collectors on this forum from Canada?
Any other advice on reference material regarding Canadian dates when the models were issued would be a great help.
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Greetings from Canada

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello azsiros, welcome to the forum.

Much of what you ask can be found within the various topics forum members have already posted, but I can suggest you click on the 'Quicklinks' and have a good look round.

We do have Canadian collectors here, so you are in good company and I am sure they will be pleased to help you.

Reproduction boxes do not smell old! and to the experienced collector can be identified from genuine boxes from the overall feel of the material used and often from the printing of the artwork. Given time you yourself will be able to look at boxes and tell which is which, but if in doubt, post good clear pictures to the forum and let others have a look.

Do enjoy your stay with us and do please get involved in as many threads as you can, especially those directly covering the same models you collect, but please do ask questions, no matter how silly you think it may be, we want you to enjoy the forum, not sit back thinking it is all above your head, it's not, you just need to know how to use it and whatever you bring to the forum will be appreciated.

Ghosthunter.
YYS4BOB

Post by YYS4BOB »

Yes, "sniff test" is the best one.
Bob
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Isn't there something about the fold lines on genuine boxes being significantly different from those on all reproductions ones?
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Idris wrote:Isn't there something about the fold lines on genuine boxes being significantly different from those on all reproductions ones?
Yes, they have a roll or seam protruding towards the inside of the box.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
lionel-honda

Post by lionel-honda »

azsiros wrote:
Are there any other collectors on this forum from Canada?

Proud Canuk in Ontario right here!

Welcome,

Scott
azsiros

Post by azsiros »

Nice to hear from you Scott, here's a question for you - besides eBay, where else can you find 60's Matchbox toys to buy here in Ontario? I sometimes see some on Kijiji but not in the shape that I'm looking for.
I'll have to get my nose working and try the sniff test on my boxes. Will also look at the inner creases to see if I can tell a difference.
Thanks for all the advice guys!
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

azsiros - it may be worth looking at Etsy from time to time. You can restrict your search to just Canadian sellers. I had a quick look this morning and got 36 matches most of which were typical Etsy - overpriced modern stuff. However there was one shop called 'collectorlad' selling a boxed 13b and boxed 14a and they weren't priced too badly. I'm sure this shop used to have a much bigger selection so if you're looking for specific models they may be able to help.

Oh yeah, just one last thing. I did get a 15a with 10 gpw from an Etsy seller in Canada, so it's definately worth checking from time to time :D
Shane

Post by Shane »

Hello and Welcome, also from Ontario

I am not a collector of many of those Matchbox you are looking for but I do like vintages. My models primarily come from eBay. The odd time you can find stuff on Kijiji too. There a few toy shows around as well where I have picked up many diecasts from fellow collectors, sellers and traders.

Where in Canada are you? There are links to show dates if you are in Ontario. I don't know about other provinces, but they are easily googled
Play with toys and be forever young!
azsiros

Post by azsiros »

I'm from Hamilton Ontario area. I've looked on Kijiji and there's never any good quality Matchbox items there. I went to a Collectors show in London, Ontario a year or so back and found some in boxes that I bought but haven't found anything since.
Let me know if you have any links or other shows that might carry Matchbox in my area.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one in Canada that has fond memories for these Matchbox toys!