M-9 Inter-State Freighter

Lesney Matchbox Accessory packs, Major packs, King-Size & Superkings
toysnz

M-9 Inter-State Freighter

Post by toysnz »

I'm just in the process of writing up details on this item and have 3 MIB versions in the shop with me (sorry no photos yet). I've got three distinctly different packaging types and my question relates to the Hendrickson Tractor unit wheels...

v1 has single, 12 mm diameter, 48 tread, black plastic with "Lesney" "England" cast into the tyre and hub shape. The rear wheels are the same as on the trailers and bogey — 12 mm diameter, 48 tread black plastic twin wheels (molded as a single unit with a 1mm groove to "separate" the tyres) and which have a deep recess in the wheel center in which can be seen the molded commercial style wheel hub pattern.

v2 has single, 12 mm diameter, 40 tread, black plastic with no markings cast into the tyre and hub shape. The rear wheels are the same as on the trailers and bogey — 12 mm diameter, 40 tread, black plastic sets of two individual wheels (molded the same as the front wheels) and without the deep recess in the wheel center that can be seen on the earlier version of the model.

v3 has single, 11 mm diameter, 44(?) tread, black plastic with no markings cast into the tyre and hub shape. The rear wheels are the same as on the trailers and bogey — 12 mm diameter, 40 tread, black plastic sets of two individual wheels and without the deep recess in the wheel center that can be seen on the earlier version of the model.

V3 is the odd one for me - I keep losing count of the treads (even with the magnifying glass!) and its possible they are 10.5mm diameter but as I only have a ruler at the shop and not my digital calipers I'm not sure of the exact diameter - can anyone / everyone comment on the diameter of the front wheels on this version and the number of treads?

[edit] BTW the v3 tractor has no silver trim at all... which contradicts the M9 page on vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk

Ian
yellowfoden

Re: M-9 Inter-State Freighter

Post by yellowfoden »

toysnz wrote:I'm just in the process of writing up details on this item and have 3 MIB versions in the shop with me (sorry no photos yet). I've got three distinctly different packaging types and my question relates to the Hendrickson Tractor unit wheels...

v1 has single, 12 mm diameter, 48 tread, black plastic with "Lesney" "England" cast into the tyre and hub shape. The rear wheels are the same as on the trailers and bogey — 12 mm diameter, 48 tread black plastic twin wheels (molded as a single unit with a 1mm groove to "separate" the tyres) and which have a deep recess in the wheel center in which can be seen the molded commercial style wheel hub pattern.

v2 has single, 12 mm diameter, 40 tread, black plastic with no markings cast into the tyre and hub shape. The rear wheels are the same as on the trailers and bogey — 12 mm diameter, 40 tread, black plastic sets of two individual wheels (molded the same as the front wheels) and without the deep recess in the wheel center that can be seen on the earlier version of the model.

v3 has single, 11 mm diameter, 44(?) tread, black plastic with no markings cast into the tyre and hub shape. The rear wheels are the same as on the trailers and bogey — 12 mm diameter, 40 tread, black plastic sets of two individual wheels and without the deep recess in the wheel center that can be seen on the earlier version of the model.

V3 is the odd one for me - I keep losing count of the treads (even with the magnifying glass!) and its possible they are 10.5mm diameter but as I only have a ruler at the shop and not my digital calipers I'm not sure of the exact diameter - can anyone / everyone comment on the diameter of the front wheels on this version and the number of treads?

[edit] BTW the v3 tractor has no silver trim at all... which contradicts the M9 page on vintagebritishdiecasts.co.uk

Ian

Hello Ian,
Here is a summary of the wheel sizes you are seeking on the M9 tractor unit.
I have found that there are 6 different size wheels fitted to the M9 over the life of the model and this can get tricky. So here goes.

First type wheels fitted
Front tractor wheels (disc type) TYPE C1 have ring of nuts on face size 12.0mm x 45 tread count. Radial lines tread on outer rim.
Rear wheels recessed hub dual mould TYPE B1, LESNEY ENGLAND text inside and outside 12.0mm x 7.2mm wide x 45 tread count.

Second type wheels fitted
Front tractor wheels smooth disc wheels TYPE C2 with LESNEY ENGLAND text outside and smooth outer rim. (see photo)
Front wheels are 12.35 (12.5) x 45 tread count
Rear wheels have dual wheel TYPE B2, LESNEY ENGLAND text on outside only but smooth inside face and are 12.5mm x 7.75mm wide x 45 tread count.

Third type wheels fitted
Front tractor wheels are TYPE A regular bpw 12.5mm x 40 tread count
Rear wheels are TYPE A regular bpw 12.5mm x 40 tread count

NOTE: I also have these in 11.4mm x 45 tread count front and 12.5mm x 40 tread count

For the purist, the rear tractor wheels should be the same as the bogie (dolly/coupler) and trailer units but they are often seen mixed up.

The purist also likes the crossover front tractor unit wheels which also exist. ie type front C2 with rear Type A

If I am reading your post correctly you have :
V1 = type 1
V2 = type 3
V3 = type 3 second issue type wheel size 11.4 (11.5)

Your model without silver trim also lines up with my type 3 second version but they also come with silver trim.

If you do get to measure with vernier I would be interested to see if you have any differing details.

Acknowledgements to Hugh (idris) for some original printed detail .

Regards
Bert
Attachments
m9 early first type tread wheels, note ring of nuts.png
m9 early first type tread wheels, note ring of nuts.png (307.38 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
bert smooth disc front smooth inside rear wheels.JPG
bert smooth disc front smooth inside rear wheels.JPG (48.99 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
smooth inside text outside.jpg
smooth inside text outside.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
m9 regular bpw.jpg
m9 regular bpw.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 8290 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

yellowfoden wrote:Acknowledgements to Hugh (idris) for some original printed detail .
Not my own work, I hasten to add, but merely scans I made of U.K. Matchbox articles. If any member would like a copy, please drop me a PM or e-mail.
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Thanks for the reply Bert and Hugh - I forgot to grab my calipers on the way to work this morning but will reassess the wheels by eye between clients today and report back. Clearly I'm needing a bigger magnifying glass if my 48 treads are indeed 45 treads! :lol:

Ian
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

The best way to get tread counts is to take a close-up photo and then view it on screen (full size). Makes it very easy.
It might be time to start my "Bucket List."
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

Tinman wrote:The best way to get tread counts is to take a close-up photo and then view it on screen (full size). Makes it very easy.
A good tip Joe but I had a camera with dead batteries at work - eventually had a go with my loupe which I found in the bottom of my barber's tool bag!

Ian
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

Ian,
I've photo copied the Matchbox UK article for you and will bring it down to the swapmeet on the 8th.

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

matchboxkiwi wrote:Ian,
I've photo copied the Matchbox UK article for you and will bring it down to the swapmeet on the 8th.

Cheers, Steve
Matchboxkiwi
Steve - if that's Julian's swapmeet its cancelled... hall isn't earthquake proof so the school is pulling it down and rebuilding - Bill Leggitt is trying otarrange a fair on Sun Dec 13th at Chilton-St James School Hall instead.... email me if you want his emal address.

BTW thanks for photocopying it!

Ian
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

toysnz wrote:Thanks for the reply Bert and Hugh - I forgot to grab my calipers on the way to work this morning but will reassess the wheels by eye between clients today and report back. Clearly I'm needing a bigger magnifying glass if my 48 treads are indeed 45 treads! :lol:

Ian
OK still no photos sorry but I've finally finished measuring the wheels... NOTE: my reference to v1, v2, v3 is only so this post follows on from my original post so it only covers the second and third wheel combinations described by Bert - so far I have not located any of the first wheel combination.

My v1 model has 12.33mm (Type C2) x 45 tread on the front and 12.50mm (Type B2) x 45 tread on the rear
My v2 model has 12.50mm (Type A regular BP) x 40 tread on the front and 12.50mm (Type A regular BP) x 40 tread on the rear
My v3 model has 11.38mm (Type A regular BP?) x 45 tread on the front and 12.50mm (Type A regular BP) x 40 tread on the rear.

Ian
toysnz

Post by toysnz »

And while we are on the subject of this model - can anyone point me to some photos of the difference between the deep and shallow airhorns on this model? :)

Ian