How can I keep boxes safe

Anything off topic, Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
eburak

How can I keep boxes safe

Post by eburak »

My collection was in packages for years. Models was surrounded with toilet paper and in their boxes if avaliable. I tried to keep boxes safe when I store them.

Recently I started to unpack my collection. Models are good as they are before. But some boxes have some damage.

They were displayed in custom furniture before. But I have no place now. I need a cheap temporary solution. So I think I have to put them in packages again. At least for a while. But may be long than I hope.

May be it is better to store boxes and models seperately. And store the boxes flat. I am talking about 600-800 boxes. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Burak
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: How can I keep boxes safe

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

For many Years I stored models separate from their boxes and now find it difficult at times to put the correct model back into it's box. I have so many variations of models that need to go back to the right box as boxes do also have variations with print runs and ink changes all adding to the fun of collecting!

I personally would keep the models in their boxes and the method you mention above is fine and then store them together in modern containers with air-tight lids to stop insects getting in and eating the box material.

A collector of rare AURORA plane kits on another forum, had all the boxes ruined from insects attacking the boxes, so plastic containers are the way to go and by sealing the lids this should help prevent insects getting in.

Long term storage is not recommended, I speak from experience with some models suffering damage due to where they were stored, which at the time seemed fine and dry, but was not and many Years later the air around the storage cupboard had gone stale and seriously affected the cardboard containers and the model's own packaging beyond repair.

You must be able to let the air circulate freely around the storage containers and at regular periods get all the models out to check everything is still OK with them and the boxes they are in.

I don't know of the ideal storage temperature, but try and store in a dry cool room without direct Sunlight entering, I am sure an air conditioned room will be just perfect for this, but sadly we don't all have that benefit.

It will be interesting to see what other forum members have to say about your storing question.

GHOSTHUNTER.
matchbox_n_molars

Post by matchbox_n_molars »

In recent months we've all had fun watching the story unfold of the order of early 1960's Matchbox toys that were ordered for the toy store in Massachusetts. The store ended up closed and the order of toys stowed away in the attic of an 18th century mill. And there they sat for 50+ years until recently unearthed.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2853
It seems odd that those toys and those boxes have survived in pristine condition despite long-term storage in what had to be less-than-ideal surroundings.
Greg in Cincinnati
eburak

Post by eburak »

matchbox_n_molars wrote:In recent months we've all had fun watching the story unfold of the order of early 1960's Matchbox toys that were ordered for the toy store in Massachusetts. The store ended up closed and the order of toys stowed away in the attic of an 18th century mill. And there they sat for 50+ years until recently unearthed.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2853
It seems odd that those toys and those boxes have survived in pristine condition despite long-term storage in what had to be less-than-ideal surroundings.
I ordered 5 of them. Will see about 2-3 weeks later. Damaged boxes get more damaged in my packages. Good ones stayed in good condition.
petethesweet1

Post by petethesweet1 »

Hi Burak, welcome to the forum. We love Turkey especially the ruins at Side & Bodrum. Now down to the boxes it all depends on what the condition of the boxes were when you packed them away, handling them many times makes them go dirty its amazing what grease comes off your fingers, air conditioning tends to dry out the cardboard & makes the boxes go brown & crisp. I have brought many of these from the US & by the time they have got to England they have been smashed to bits. Sun is another factor it will take the colour of off the box in a few days. I viewed a collection a few years ago that had been in the sun light the front of the boxes were very faded & had started to crack, even the models were ruined. There are a few people making nice cabinets now or you may choose a free standing cabinet. When you have time maybe you can show us some of your collection Pete
tractorboy

Post by tractorboy »

Good Day Burak,
Store away or display?
I keep mine in a filing cabinet and when that was filled purchased some cardboard filers. Each drawer has desiccant gel packs to keep moisture down.
I've only been collecting for a few years so can't say how this works in the long term.
Does allow me to easily access boxes and models which I need to do as I'm recataloging my collection database in line with Nick's variation guide.
As members update variations or post questions this allows me quick access for an examine and play.
IMG_6771.jpg
IMG_6771.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Also easy to add additional boxes.
IMG_6772.jpg
IMG_6772.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 955 times
If you do wish store boxes flat check godsey1's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2792

For damaged boxes check out tinman's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=148
"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever." ---Mary Jo Putney

Rodger
eburak

Post by eburak »

petethesweet1 wrote:Hi Burak, welcome to the forum. We love Turkey especially the ruins at Side & Bodrum. Now down to the boxes it all depends on what the condition of the boxes were when you packed them away, handling them many times makes them go dirty its amazing what grease comes off your fingers, air conditioning tends to dry out the cardboard & makes the boxes go brown & crisp. I have brought many of these from the US & by the time they have got to England they have been smashed to bits. Sun is another factor it will take the colour of off the box in a few days. I viewed a collection a few years ago that had been in the sun light the front of the boxes were very faded & had started to crack, even the models were ruined. There are a few people making nice cabinets now or you may choose a free standing cabinet. When you have time maybe you can show us some of your collection Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for warm welcome. Here are some photos of my collection. These are my old custom display cabinets. There was 9 of them. Unfortunately I have no place anymore.

And these are how they are stored now:

I have at least one example for all RW and SF models in mint or near mint condition and boxes in different conditions. And all accessory packs. And some Fred Bronner blister packs, some games, some catalogues etc. And some early Lesney Toys. I collected them till 9 years ago when I have a friend in US. I bought them from ebay or some sellers and sent them to my friend.

After I married and had children I have no place to display anymore. So I am not buying any models for 9 years. I have no Stannard catalogue. I am considering to recataloging my collection according to Nick's guide. And buy some RW variations. Unfortunately I can not able to find any RW model in any condition in my country. And postage costs are extremely higher than there was before. So I prefer to buy bulk purchases. Recently bought some models from RWC again but I am struggling to communicate with Robert. I think I will not buy anymore. I do not know how can I proceed. I will find a way.

Burak
eburak

Post by eburak »

By the way all of my models and boxes protected from direct sunlight and any kind of artificial light and never touched with bare hand without gloves after purchased by me :roll:
eburak

Post by eburak »

tractorboy wrote:Good Day Burak,

If you do wish store boxes flat check godsey1's thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2792
Good day Rodger,

Thanks for reply. This is exactly what I need. I see there are different sizes of toploaders. Is ticket size the best. What about this size http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=1389

Burak
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Hello Burak I made a cabinet just for my boxes there are 16 draws each draw holds 55-60 boxes and each draw is 40mm deep.

So that the boxes do not stand on each other, the only light that gets on them is the electric light when I open a draw to get a box out to take a photo for the casting show.

The Cabinet with 16 draws.

Notice there are no handles on the draws so that when my grand children were small they could not open them.

George T.