32c Tanker Query

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Idris
Site Admin

32c Tanker Query

Post by Idris »

I'm pretty sure that this is a code 3 (see the eighth model down on this page). Certainly I can find no reference to this livery anywhere in my catalogues or on line.
Can anyone confirm?
Attachments
$_57.jpg
$_57.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 576 times
tjlglass

Re: 32c Tanker Query

Post by tjlglass »

i see this one Hugh and forgot to bid lol. Like anything else untill another turns up people will think code 3, but if another turns up it gets people's attention. Back then Matchbox would have been the main source for Company Promo's but also for label reasignments. You just never know until a few are found.
fixer

Post by fixer »

I saw this on feebay and assumed that it was a code 3 /custom as seller also had some others for sale
reg
motorman

Post by motorman »

fixer wrote:I saw this on feebay and assumed that it was a code 3 /custom as seller also had some others for sale
Reg, Do you mean more code 3's or more examples of the tanker?
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

motorman wrote:
fixer wrote:I saw this on feebay and assumed that it was a code 3 /custom as seller also had some others for sale
I followed this one and the seller did have the odd custom for sale as well, not a tanker though. I must admit that I thought this was a code 3 but there is always a niggly doubt that it could be a trial/promo especially as the colour match looks very good between the paint and the decal. I Googled Castrol at the time and it was bought up by BP :) but iirc only about 15 odd years ago.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

The second link in my post is to an identical code 3 model.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Idris wrote:The second link in my post is to an identical code 3 model.
...and here it is. Interesting to note this version has the wheels in an all Black finish, so is this 'Code 3' based on an original 'Promo' shown in the first picture by "Idris"...!
All Black wheels!.JPG
All Black wheels!.JPG (57.64 KiB) Viewed 536 times
GHOSTHUNTER.
ford_a_30

Post by ford_a_30 »

I think I got this one figured out, and sorry to bust any bubbles here but that decal could not be anything other than a much later decal reassignment. That version of the "Castrol" logo on the side of the truck was not adopted by the company until 2001. Prior to then the logo was a green circle with the Castrol name in a white stripe. The name didn't come out of the circle until decades after the truck had left the factory. Looks cool though.
Here is a link to the companies logo evolution.
http://historyofcastrol.blogspot.com/20 ... -logo.html
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

ford_a_30 wrote:I think I got this one figured out, and sorry to bust any bubbles here but that decal could not be anything other than a much later decal reassignment. That version of the "Castrol" logo on the side of the truck was not adopted by the company until 2001. Prior to then the logo was a green circle with the Castrol name in a white stripe. The name didn't come out of the circle until decades after the truck had left the factory. Looks cool though.
Here is a link to the companies logo evolution. http://historyofcastrol.blogspot.com/20 ... -logo.html
Looks like case closed to me.
Well done!
fixer

Post by fixer »

motorman wrote:
more code 3s mate
reg