Red Racing Mini #29 & Mazda #66 with unpainted base

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
StephenK

Red Racing Mini #29 & Mazda #66 with unpainted base

Post by StephenK »

Hello,

Have picked up a couple of variations in the last week. (sorry no pics at present).

A #29 Racing Mini in red (not orange or bronze), with no stickers on doors and a #66 Mazda with unpainted base. The Mazda I'm assuming is a reasonably unusual variation as only one available on ebay (at £85!), but what's the story with the Mini? Was this a twin pack only version? I've seen this with a "number 3" on the side, but this looks to have never had these.

Thanks
Stephen
motorman

Re: Red Racing Mini #29 & Mazda #66 with unpainted base

Post by motorman »

StephenK,

The #29 racing mini in red did come in the Twin pack TP6 and had the racing number 3 door label, with centre cut wheels, it was normally married up with the #74 Toe Joe in green with red booms. I cannot recall seeing one sealed in its blister without it's racing labels but i understand a quantity made it out the factory without racing number labels in some twin packs.

I have also seen a few #29's with different racing numbers other than number 3, personally i suspect these may have been fitted post factor although i may be wrong. I would like to see a few in sealed blisters before i was convinced.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

I have a red racing Mini, It has the normal 29 label with green edging, I only paid a pound or two for it so I'm pretty sure it is original and untouched, The labels have no evidence of being peeled off another model and then reapplied to the Mini.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
motorman

Post by motorman »

nickjones wrote:I have a red racing Mini, It has the normal 29 label with green edging, I only paid a pound or two for it so I'm pretty sure it is original and untouched, The labels have no evidence of being peeled off another model and then reapplied to the Mini.
Correct Nick the red mini with 29 labels can also be found in twin pack TP6. If i am not mistaken i am sure i have seen RN29 minis in TP's married up with yellow #74's
MOTORMAN

vetrad

Post by vetrad »

Here's how my Racing Mini without labels is packaged:

-David

StephenK

Post by StephenK »

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for that.
Stephen
motorman

Post by motorman »

Thanks for showing that TP6 David. I cant recall seeing this combination of #29 and #61 packaged together before.
MOTORMAN