Unusual roof colour SF#1 Dodge Challenger

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
motorman

Unusual roof colour SF#1 Dodge Challenger

Post by motorman »

What are your thoughts on this SF #1 challenger that has just sold on ebay?

Is the roof colour and the amber glazing as a result of exposure to a high level of sunlight or a very smokey environment? I am not convinced on the light exposure arguement as the cream colour is uniform over its entirety. The glazing does not look uniform so could this be as a result of smoke??

An unusual piece that i would probably have bid on had i noticed it prior to the listing ending.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321654418803?nav=WATCHING_ENDED
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
SMS88

Re: Unusual roof colour SF#1 Dodge Challenger

Post by SMS88 »

Looks like long term exposure to strong light - this is coming from Australia so the red paint could have been protected by tinted windows but that wouldnt stop the plastic from discolouring
motorman

Post by motorman »

SMS88 wrote:Looks like long term exposure to strong light - this is coming from Australia so the red paint could have been protected by tinted windows but that wouldnt stop the plastic from discolouring
Thanks Mick, i kind of discounted the light exposure being responsible due to the uniformity of the discolouration, however it must be possiblity due to the models geographical location.
MOTORMAN

Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Hi Alex,

Southern Hemisphere UV damage due to ozone hole - Mick's right. See a few of these like this in NZ too. Clear windscreens on late Lesney SF models going this colour is the telltale sign. Even in my dim dark mancave I keep models on display only a few weeks at a time for fear of this happening. Actually, time I rotated the display again - very sunny most days at the moment being mid-summer here. 8-)

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Its quite surprising how quickly paint can fade even when sat on a north facing windowsill, I have a bugie vw pick-up that I repainted green with humbrol enamel, It sat on my windowsill for 6 months and is now badly faded on one side.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
ford_a_30

Post by ford_a_30 »

All the talk of paint fade keeps me up at night. I display my cars in a room void of direct sunlight, but not a vault either so there is natural light there. I have even switched all the light bulbs to LED but I still worry about fade.
motorman

Post by motorman »

nickjones wrote:Its quite surprising how quickly paint can fade even when sat on a north facing windowsill, I have a bugie vw pick-up that I repainted green with humbrol enamel, It sat on my windowsill for 6 months and is now badly faded on one side.
Imagine the tan you would have on one side Nick if you sat on your windowsill for 6 months!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MOTORMAN