Halfway there

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
Johnny Pimp

Halfway there

Post by Johnny Pimp »

I picked up a couple of display cases early last year, following a tip off on this forum.

After a couple of false starts, I've finally got them up and put one of them to use!

Every model and most of the boxes are differing variations, although from these photos, it's clear that a few wouldn't pass Mick's 3-feet rule!

Hopefully, the next cabinet won't take quite as long to fill up.
John

Want Matchbox? Visit www.matchboxforsale.com !
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Halfway there

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

A very nice and neat collection you have got there Johhny, those cabinets seem perfect.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Bob/Ohio

Post by Bob/Ohio »

Great collection! Great display!

Bob
Johnny Pimp

Post by Johnny Pimp »

The display cases were an absolute steal from the German supermarket chain, Lidl. £55 apiece if my memory serves me correctly.

Discount supermarkets such as Lidl and Aldi have begun to take a hold in the UK after years of scepticism from the public (amazing what a deep-seated recession can do to change opinions!).

However, I still think comedian Sean Lock sums them up nicely with quips like: "I don't recognise any of the products. It's like being on holiday", "You don't know whether you're buying butter or mastic" and his suggestion that they stock tins of puffin hearts and wasps cooked in their own business!
John

Want Matchbox? Visit www.matchboxforsale.com !
Fox

Post by Fox »

Here in France Lidl supermarkets sell these display cases every december since many years. Some have bought dozens.
I only got one, in my... WC :oops: It is filled with empty boxes or models I have no room enough to expose.

They seem to have been design especialy for Matchbox models. Your display cabinet is terrific !
Corgi-toys ergo sum
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

It looks really impressive John, those cabinets are ideal.
John
There's nothing regular about wheels
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Looks amazing - if i had enough boxes I would display like this too.One question - have you considered adding in the F box versions of RW alongside to make it a truely transitional display because the different F box designs sit so well alongside each other as do all the RW-SF colour variations?
Lidl did this promotion again at the beginning of December 2014.
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Fox wrote:Here in France Lidl supermarkets sell these display cases every december since many years. Some have bought dozens.
I only got one, in my... WC :oops: It is filled with empty boxes or models I have no room enough to expose.

They seem to have been design especialy for Matchbox models. Your display cabinet is terrific !
Hmm, empty boxes in the 'WC'...shudder to think what happens when the toilet paper runs out during a long session !!

Ghosty.
mbox75

Post by mbox75 »

A very nice and some rare Variants John,Setra Coach Prepros.Gratulation.

Cheers Mathias
SITE ADMIN WARNING: ANY PRE-PRODUCTION MODELS PICTURED IN THIS POST BY MBOX75 MAY BE FAKES!
motorman

Post by motorman »

Superb collection in a great display case. What more can you ask for!
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"