52a Maserati 4CLT

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

52a Maserati 4CLT

Post by Idris »

The NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (second edition) lists the first issue (52-1A) as being red orange rather than just red, but otherwise matching Nick's codes 1 and 2 (i.e. no decal, silver exhaust, c/a, KBPW). Since the NAMC second issue (52-1B) matches Nicks codes 1 and 2, this colour does appear to be a separate variation.
The AIM “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) has two models noted as yellow/green rather than simply yellow. These are variations 52-1k (matching Nick's code 11, i.e. 52 decal, white driver, ejector ring, wire wheels) and 52-1l (matching Nick's code 13, i.e. 52 decal, white driver, ejector ring, wire wheels). It is also noted that models exist without silver trim (no surprises there!).
Stannard states that trim was originally hand applied to the grille, filler cap and exhaust, but that this was reduced to grille only when mask-sprayed trim was introduced.
Houghton does not list any variations not already covered by Nick (and curiously fails to note the trim variations).
U.K. Matchbox examined the model in Vol 7, no. 1 (Apr. '83) p23 and notes a number of interesting points:
- shades of both the red and the yellow exist,
- "models also exist with the transfers applied at the rear end of the model rather then on the sides..." (See also here.)
- full (i.e. hand) trim is associated with c/a, whilst mask sprayed is associated with r/a.
Idris
Site Admin

Re: 52a Maserati 4CLT

Post by Idris »

Browsing on Ebay, I now find myself wondering whether there might not be two decal sizes, namely an early, large onle and a later, small one. Can anyone confirm (or is it merely an optical illusion)?
52a large decal
52a large decal
52a (large).JPG (14.92 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
52a (small).JPG
52a (small).JPG (5.59 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

Hi Hugh.
I'm pretty sure the decal in the upper picture is a reproduction, Judging by the paint wear the decal should have disappeared long ago but it is still intact and like new. I have never seen an orange-red or green-yellow 52a.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nickjones wrote:I'm pretty sure the decal in the upper picture is a reproduction,
That did occur to me, but I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt because of the chipping (which IIRC is more apparent on the other side).
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nickjones wrote:I'm pretty sure the decal in the upper picture is a reproduction, Judging by the paint wear the decal should have disappeared long ago but it is still intact and like new. I have never seen an orange-red or green-yellow 52a.
Try having a look at these two: large and small.
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

I'm not questioning the decal size, It's the fact that it is still attached to the car when you look at the amount of paint loss. Surely the decal should have disappeared long ago.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

nickjones wrote:I'm not questioning the decal size, It's the fact that it is still attached to the car when you look at the amount of paint loss. Surely the decal should have disappeared long ago.
That's why I posted the second pairing - to show that the difference in decal size is not purely the result of someone using an oversize replacement decal.. (Are we talking at cross-purposes here?)
As regards wear, the decals on the 52a are slightly more protected than they are on other models because of the shape of the body which is slightly concave at that point.
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

I can confirm the orange red color on the very first crimped axle version without decal, as well as this early crimped axle in red color with decal and with no silver trim to the exhaust at all. I know what is meant by the yellow versus the last yellow-green models produced, but these color differences were far more subtle than the red differences that I have examples of.
The red versus orange-red on this 52A are the same color differences as shown by Antonin and others on their 11A Tankers Nick. When shown together, they are two distinct colors, not just shades of red. Possibly Lesney was using two different companies to supply their reds through some of these early years of production. kwakers
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

There are listed two wheels variations by red model:
a) BPW ø12,5x30
b) ø8 wire wheel with 14x60 tyre

but I think there are three wheels variations:
a) BPW ø12x30
b) BPW ø12,5x30
c) ø8 wire wheel with 14x60 tyre

Antonin
Attachments
DSCN5434.JPG
DSCN5434.JPG (35.58 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
Last edited by Diecast on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Diecast

Post by Diecast »

The difference is easier to see by the mutual comparison
Attachments
DSCN5436.JPG
DSCN5436.JPG (34.46 KiB) Viewed 5898 times
DSCN5435.JPG
DSCN5435.JPG (33.4 KiB) Viewed 5898 times