Reddy brown wheel axle clips

British made Matchbox Superfast 1969-83
StephenK

Reddy brown wheel axle clips

Post by StephenK »

Not sure what these are technically called, but I picked up a 71 Jeep and a 13 BP Wreck Truck at Shepton with reddy bown superfast plastic wheel clips rather than the usual black. Are these particularly unusual and would they have been the original transitional colour? Not had any of these before.

Thanks
Stephen
motorman

Re: Reddy brown wheel axle clips

Post by motorman »

The axle clips can be found in black and red, reddy brown. The SF#66 Greyhound coach can be found with black clips and others with red clips for example.
MOTORMAN

"Kill all my demons and my angels will die too"
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

So were the red and reddy brown clips used only on certain models for a certain time, or can they turn up anywhere around '69-'71? Also, does it affect value at all?
Thanks,
Stephen
motorman

Post by motorman »

StephenK wrote:So were the red and reddy brown clips used only on certain models for a certain time, or can they turn up anywhere around '69-'71? Also, does it affect value at all?
Thanks,
Stephen
I personally do not consider one colour of clip over another colour as having any additional value as they can be easily removed and replaced. The axel clips were used on several models, i have only used the SF#66 as one example.
MOTORMAN

fixer

Post by fixer »

I agree with Alex the axle clips are so easy to swap I don't take any notice of the colour
reg
matchboxkiwi

Post by matchboxkiwi »

I would have said that the black ones are far more common then the red ones. It's nice to have an example or two of the red ones in your collection but as the others have said I place no real value on them as they are so easy to swap around. Two or three models did seem to have the red axle clips more common to them than some of the other models for some reason.

Cheers, Steve
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Dark red clips are scarce,probably only 1 run made, less than 20% and sometimes much less than 5% of any 1970 casting with them I would guess.Havent seen the special double clip for the #66 Greyhound in dark red before
motorman

Post by motorman »

SMS88 wrote:Dark red clips are scarce,probably only 1 run made, less than 20% and sometimes much less than 5% of any 1970 casting with them I would guess.Havent seen the special double clip for the #66 Greyhound in dark red before
I also have never observed a rear double clip in red on an SF#66. The front clip can as you know Mick be found in red and here is an image of one for sale on ebay at the moment for the information of stephenK
Attachments
greyhound red clip.jpg
greyhound red clip.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 765 times
MOTORMAN

Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Here is a crap photo of the 66c Greyhound with dark brownish red rear double axle clip:

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
SMS88

Post by SMS88 »

Taniwha wrote:Here is a crap photo of the 66c Greyhound with dark brownish red rear double axle clip:

Cheers,
Gavin
Great to see something i have never seen before and didnt expect to exist! Rarer than coloured baseplates on this casting I bet!