Unusual 52a decal

Is it genuine or is it fake?
moston100

Unusual 52a decal

Post by moston100 »

Has anybody ever seen a decal on the rear of the car as in the attached photo. I am hopeing that perhaps a young lady who normally worked on the 19c production line was relocated to the 52a line for a day, but most likely it is just a replacement decal fitted at a later date.
Attachments
52a.jpg
52a.jpg (61.98 KiB) Viewed 7344 times
mbox2000

Re: Unusual 52a decal

Post by mbox2000 »

The print looks the same as the regular placement decal. looks good to me so I vote for the young lady in a new position, ER...assembly spot. Jay
Mbox2000 / Jay
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

I seem to remember seeing one like this before, possibly on the mcch, maybe 10 years ago, nice find.
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
jimgallegos

Post by jimgallegos »

I have heard of this but not until now seen it. Looks real to me.
Jim G.Come join us at the 2019 Gathering in New Mexico. 19-21 July 2097. email me @ matchb0x1@aol.com for information
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

IIRC we touched on this on the old Forum. I think there had been a thread on MCCH about a similar model and in which MC had said that, as a kid, he used to relocate the decals from the side to the tail.
Personally, I think it a highly plausible variation and one which I would be happy to display.
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

A very interesting model!
Assume that the other side of the model has the 52 in the rear also?

Not sure how the assembly of these models transpired, but assume that the same person put decals on BOTH sides or entire set of decals/labels on original model, rather than two different people putting decals/labels on ONE side of the model at a time?

Thanks for sharing!

Bill
DurangoKid
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

There is a bit of old film somewhere, circa the mid 60's that shows one of Lesneys lady employees with a BP decal stuck on the end of her thumb and two more stuck on the end her fingernails, She was applying them to 25c Bedford Tankers, Thousands of them, I can't imagine how mind numbingly boring her job must have been..
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
moston100

Post by moston100 »

I bet we all wish we could be sat there Nick with our fingers full of decals sticking them on toys fresh off the production line.
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

moston100 wrote:Has anybody ever seen a decal on the rear of the car as in the attached photo. I am hopeing that perhaps a young lady who normally worked on the 19c production line was relocated to the 52a line for a day, but most likely it is just a replacement decal fitted at a later date.
I can confirm this variation, having recently found a playworn example (see below). Variation code to follow.
Attachments
52a-2.JPG
52a-2.JPG (59.88 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
52a-1.JPG
52a-1.JPG (63.75 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

Idris wrote:Variation code to follow.
Nick's code 10 (bonnet stud, white driver, no ejector ring). This would also appear to be true of Frank's example, so this looks like a new, confirmed variation of this model.