Quiralu : vintage and re-issues

Not British, But were in the EEC now!
Fox

Quiralu : vintage and re-issues

Post by Fox »

Quiralu was a french brand that produced soldiers, characters and animals in aluminium.

But they used mazak to cast their vehicules.

Some where british.

This scarce bodied (Hopper Empress design on chassis #ALC5) Silver Cloud is really charming.
But about what where they thinking illustrating the box ? It shows the standard standard steel saloon !

This toy has benn produced in 1957 and 1958. Quiralu tyres seem almost never have flat or tears ;)

Corgi-toys ergo sum
GHOSTHUNTER

Re: Quiralu : vintage and re-issues

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

Hello Fox, what a very nice example you have shown and looking like the original issue, not the later re-issue, certainly the box is original. Do not take the scale on the base of this model as correct, it is not 1/43rd scale, nowhere near it and I am surprised they could make such a mistake. If you have other Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud model from 'Universal Hobbies' or even the 'Solido' Silver Cloud, put them by the side of the Quiralu' and see how smaller it is...!

Thanks for showing a nice example of my favourite subject.

GHOSTHUNTER.
Fox

Post by Fox »

You're right.

The Quiralu is 1/50. I will post a picture side by side with the Silver Wraith from Dinky-Toys.

Yes it's an original box.
Corgi-toys ergo sum
Fox

Post by Fox »

I had already made a picture with a 1994 re-issue some years ago.
We're close talking about scale knowing that a Cloud is a little bit smaller than a Wraith.

Corgi-toys ergo sum
GHOSTHUNTER

Post by GHOSTHUNTER »

In fact both models are based on Long Wheelbase cars. The Silver Wraith is a Long Wheelbase car, chassis number ELW 15 by Park Ward and the Silver Cloud is apparently based on ALC 5, the 'L' denoting a Long Wheelbase chassis.

The Silver Wraith wheelbase will be 133 inches long and the Silver Cloud wheelbase will be 127 inches long, making the Silver Wraith longer, so yes they look pretty close to the generalised scale of 1/50 for both models and the Dinky Silver Wraith looks about right for it's overall length against the Silver Cloud, Dinky not using 1/43 until a little later.

GHOSTHUNTER.
fixer

Post by fixer »

Oh dear Mr Fox, you've opened a can of worms now another Rolls Royce thread for Ghosty to get his teeth into, if we're not careful we'll have to send him to rehab to calm down a bit
Did anyone know he likes RRs you would never have guessed it would you :lol:
reg
Fox

Post by Fox »

Now I know ! But didn't guess it was so RR hungry

What I didn't know is that the Dinky is ELW15. Just knew it was Park Ward Design 702. (It depends of the way the spare wheel is mounted into the boot. I didn't think to open the Dinky boot to verify... :lol: )
Corgi-toys ergo sum
Fox

Post by Fox »

Some (almost all in fact) of my 1957/58 RR Quiralu.

Corgi-toys ergo sum
starni999

Post by starni999 »

Lovely, really lovely.
I really must get a few more of these, superb models. Not interested in the new knock off's though they ARE good copies.
CW.
Ecclesley

Post by Ecclesley »

A code 3, it has got the correct tires in the mean time.

Re-issue
The quickest way to end a war? Lose it!
See (part of) my collection here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/broadcaster/