57b Chevrolet Impala

one new model to be updated each week
Idris
Site Admin

57b Chevrolet Impala

Post by Idris »

he NAMC’s “Catalog of all Series Matchbox Models” (first edition) has two variations (57-2h and 57-2i) listed a very dark metallic blue. The former variation is with tinted windows, black base and (probably) 9 x 24 BPW (i.e. as Nick's variation code 12). Variation 57-2i is much more interesting since it is identical to 57-2h except it has a maroon base. Given Lesney's use of maroon for baseplates on other models, this seems a plausible variation, although it is strange that it is otherwise unknown given that the baseplate is a totally different colour rather than yet another shade of blue. If proven to exist, this would be a new code 13 in Nick's table. In addition, trim variations to the rear of the model are noted, but the timeline appears confused.
The AIM “1-75 Series Regular Wheels” catalogue (second printing, 1983) has a tinted windows, black base model with 9 x 20 GPW as variation 57-2a. With casting details unknown, this would fit in either around code 9 or code 11 in Nick's table. Comment is made that the metallic blue bodies are subject to various shades.
Neither Stannard nor Houghton has any variations not already listed by Nick, but Stannard notes "silver trim deleted from the rear followed by the deletion of the red-painted tail lights".
U.K. Matchbox covered the model in vol. 4, no. 5 (Dec. '80), p159 with a follow-up in vol 4, no. 6 (Jan '81), p206. A model with green tinted windows, black baseplate and 9 x 20 GPW is listed as variation 57b-6. Note that this is the same unlisted variation as AIM's 57-2a.
kwakers

Re: 57b

Post by kwakers »

The 1973 NAMC catalog has 11 variations of Bob's 'A' Chevrolet Impala, 4 variations of his 'B' model 57-2, and just a single variation of his 'C' variation in metallic Blue with tinted windows, black base, and with BPW on it. This gives 16 variations total that were listed MOSTLY (?) in the order of their discovery by Bob, not necessarily in the proper timeline of their production details. On some of his Lesney models, Bob's collection was fairly complete at the time of his first 1971 printing, so these number codes are very close to Nick's Stannard based Guide in their proper timeline. kwakers
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kwakers wrote:The 1973 NAMC catalog has 11 variations of Bob's 'A' Chevrolet Impala, 4 variations of his 'B' model 57-2, and just a single variation of his 'C' variation in metallic Blue with tinted windows, black base, and with BPW on it. This gives 16 variations total that were listed MOSTLY (?) in the order of their discovery by Bob, not necessarily in the proper timeline of their production details. On some of his Lesney models, Bob's collection was fairly complete at the time of his first 1971 printing, so these number codes are very close to Nick's Stannard based Guide in their proper timeline. kwakers
Is the maroon base variation still listed?
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

His 57-2A variation number 4 is still shown as being in his collection and having a red base and KSGPW, which means knobby silver gray plastic wheels, which we now just call 9X20 silver plastic wheels in Nick's Guide. Did he change his listing of this one from maroon in your 1971 Guide to red as in my 1973 2nd edition of his NAMC Guide Idris? This 9X20 tread count has aggressive deep treads on it that Bob calls 'knobby', while Nick's other 9X24 SPW has a smoother non-aggressive tread design that Bob simply called SGPW when describing them as being 2 different wheel designs in his Guides.
If Bob published a red/maroon base on this 57-2 Chevrolet Impala, there is no doubt it was delivered that way from the Lesney Factory and is a known U.S. variation that he may still own. Didn't one of these show up a few years ago in a picture on the Lefora site, or am I mistaken on that memory?
Sorry for the delay in my answer Idris, it was a beautiful day to work on the 3rd story roof today and 'finish off' my vacation......LOL kwakers
nickjones
Site Admin

Post by nickjones »

kwakers wrote: Didn't one of these show up a few years ago in a picture on the Lefora site, or am I mistaken on that memory?
Hi Dick.
We did have a single (and probably unique) 27c Cadillac with a blue base show up on the Lefora site
Nick Jones.
In sunny Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, UK
kwakers

Post by kwakers »

Ahoy Matey Nick....Ar Ar Ar.....LOL Bob's red base he listed on that 57-2 may be the same type of a model then, a pre-production, or perhaps a paint trial type model that may be unique. It could also just be ultra rare if only one batch of each was done like them, but we may never know for sure which was the case.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion with that blue Cadillac base Nick. A sub-note on both of these odd bases existing as possible pre-productions in your Guide may bring comments on other survivors, even if they are owned by non-Forum members just 'looking in'. I believe it was reading about your 'blue' 21 Milk Truck and also the 3 line 28 Jaguar in your Guide that put us in touch seven years ago Nick. It Works!!
:D kwakers
Idris
Site Admin

Post by Idris »

kwakers wrote:Did he change his listing of this one from maroon in your 1971 Guide to red as in my 1973 2nd edition of his NAMC Guide Idris?
It would seem so.
numi

Post by numi »

kwakers wrote:His 57-2A variation number 4 is still shown as being in his collection and having a red base and KSGPW, which means knobby silver gray plastic wheels, which we now just call 9X20 silver plastic wheels in Nick's Guide. Did he change his listing of this one from maroon in your 1971 Guide to red as in my 1973 2nd edition of his NAMC Guide Idris? This 9X20 tread count has aggressive deep treads on it that Bob calls 'knobby', while Nick's other 9X24 SPW has a smoother non-aggressive tread design that Bob simply called SGPW when describing them as being 2 different wheel designs in his Guides.
If Bob published a red/maroon base on this 57-2 Chevrolet Impala, there is no doubt it was delivered that way from the Lesney Factory and is a known U.S. variation that he may still own. Didn't one of these show up a few years ago in a picture on the Lefora site, or am I mistaken on that memory?
Sorry for the delay in my answer Idris, it was a beautiful day to work on the 3rd story roof today and 'finish off' my vacation......LOL kwakers
Heres a pic from the old forum.This belongs to an ex-forum member and in beautiful condition too!
numi
Attachments
2010_1121CHEVY570010.jpg
2010_1121CHEVY570010.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 8013 times
numi

One cannot do much with all the monies in this world but can do much more if he strives toward contentment.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

One thing that I'm not sure is noted in any guides is that the clear windows of the 57b are a different shape to the green tinted windows - can be seen in these pictures:

The clear windows curve in at the bottom on the front, whereas the green tinted ones have a straighter edge. This makes me wonder if there are green tinted windows with the earlier shape on some of the earlier variations?

Cheers,
Gavin
Faceless Bureaucrats have feelings too...
kerbside

Post by kerbside »

Here are the three stages of rear trim deletion on the model.

The base colours as listed in Stannards book he lists twelve variations of models.

Some one must have deep pockets to pay gbp 850 for Stannards code 8 the one with a Mid Blue Base :o :o

George T.